Which lens to replace my 70-200VR?

Well, my son is leaving for college in about a month and I need some cash. Right now I am thinking about selling my favorite lens to help with tuition. Which lens should I replace it with and how much will that lens cost? After reading a little it looks like the choice would be the 80-200 but which model (?) would be the best? Thanks.

You're a good mom for selling off that fine piece of glass.

You can replace the 70-200 with an 80-200 af-s without much loss.

My 55-200 VR doesn't lag in sharpness at all. And it's dirt cheap too. It's no F/2.8, but still very sharp. Depends on what you're going to use it for.

If you don't need the VR, the Nikkor 80-200 would give essentially the same results. And you might consider the Sigma 70-200 also.

Well, my son is leaving for college in about a month and I need some cash. Right now I am thinking about selling my favorite lens to help with tuition. Which lens should I replace it with and how much will that lens cost? After reading a little it looks like the choice would be the 80-200 but which model (?) would be the best? Thanks.

I'd go for the awesome 180mm. You can get a good used one in the $500's

If you can get by without the 2.8 you might find the 70-300vr an interesting alternative.

There are several 80-200 lenses. So if you sell the 70-200 and buy an 80-200, how much will you net? Will it make a material difference in your finances? I suspect buying the 80-200 AFS will not net for you the funds you are looking for. I don't expect you to answer on this forum. Just my thoughts.

There are several 80-200 lenses. So if you sell the 70-200 and buy an 80-200, how much will you net? Will it make a material difference in your finances? I suspect buying the 80-200 AFS will not net for you the funds you are looking for. I don't expect you to answer on this forum. Just my thoughts.

Excellent point.

I think I'd sell the other lenses in your kit before I sold the 70-200. The net money raised would be about the same. You can replace the shorter lenses - piece by piece - with better glass. There's no better substitute in the 70-200 range.

Sorry if this sounds a daft question but why do you need 2.8?

Given the choice AF-S/VR or 2.8?????

The 80-200/2.8D doesn't have AF-S or VR, but would give you similar IQ to the 70-200. I'd recommend the 2 ring version, as it includes an excellent tripod mount. They sell for $1,100 new, but gently used copies can often be found in the $800 range.

Folks often find that they mostly use a zoom at the wide end or the long end. Since you already own an 85/1.8, you could complement it with a used copy of the 180/2.8 for around $500. And some feel that the IQ of the180/2.8 is an improvement over the 70-200.

Your an amazing mom for giving up your favorite lens for your child. That is just awesome. I hope they they make the best of the opportunity you have provided. Im sure they will.
My vote goes for the a 180 2.8 prime. Iv seen AIS versions for as little as $275.00 and that is one sharp lens.

I have heard very decent reports on the Sigma 50-150 F 2.8. Would be a much lighter lens also. Can you do with less reach, and more at the short end?

FWIW,

Mike

Thanks for your responses. I think I want to keep the 2.8 though.

I've been down the road you describe!

If you are pleased with, and want to keep, the Nikkor f/2.8 you own, then don't sell the lens.
The +/- will not be worth the time and aggravation selling your lens and buying a used replacement lens of unknown quality.

Consider haggling a lower rate with the education loan agencies.
You'll save WAY more over a period of years, and you will have the great photos -and memories- of a Mom who did her best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom