Which lens to replace my 70-200VR?

well i have started useing my 70-300vr its lovely and light and saved me when we could only shoot 3 songs in the pit.
my hands are a bit shakey so this is low light in a crowd seems good to me?

5828d618.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think I'd sell the other lenses in your kit before I sold the 70-200. The net money raised would be about the same. You can replace the shorter lenses - piece by piece - with better glass. There's no better substitute in the 70-200 range.

That's a good idea. For some reason I was thinking an 80-200 was around $600...I think I missed that mark! I do have other stuff I don't use..sekonic L358 that I thought I just HAD to have and NEVER used. I have my Tamron 28-75 that I have rarely used...never liked it. Don't know if it's me or the lens. Maybe I will start going through some stuff. Thanks.

David, Uncle Frank and Nikkor AIS, didn't think about the 180mm option, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

I've been down the road you describe!

If you are pleased with, and want to keep, the Nikkor f/2.8 you own, then don't sell the lens.
The +/- will not be worth the time and aggravation selling your lens and buying a used replacement lens of unknown quality.

Consider haggling a lower rate with the education loan agencies.
You'll save WAY more over a period of years, and you will have the great photos -and memories- of a Mom who did her best.

:) Thanks. I thought about the unknown quality factor and was worried.

In the grand scheme of things in a college career, I don't think selling the 70-200 VR would put a major dent in the cost of college.

If it really does make a difference, getting a 2.8 replacement is going to net you $1,000 to $700 depending on how much you get for your lens and how much the replacement is.

Unless you are going to buy a $200 replacement, or none at all, I don't think it is worth selling the 70-200 VR. Get more of a loan for college and tell your son to find a job on campus or around it.

Yeah, I don't think you are going to net enough $ to really make it worth selling, especially if you are going to replace it with something else anyway.

That said, if you are going to sell it, sell it to me....cheap! :wink:

I know it won't be a lot of money in the large picture but he is going to apply for an ROTC scholarship after his first semester so it will be much easier if he gets that. Now it would be a different story if his father would step up to the plate but that's a whole different story......That being said I guess if I do decide to sell it I won't replace it, wouldn't make sense.

Just a thought, but dumping the 70-200VR1 right now would be the worst time, as I imagine there will be many people doing the same to upgrade to the new one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom