Which Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by paradiddle, Jul 15, 2008.

1. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    I really should not buy anything but will probably buy something. I have rented the 70-200 and 85 1.4. I liked both lens. I will post some pictures of the type pictures I normally try and take. They are of people and sometimes families. I also have two children and would like to take sports pictures. Soccer, basketball, baseball, maybe football.

I would like the 70-200 because I have a 24-120 (I don't like) I could use for portraits, sports. I have people asking me to take sports pictures and they would pay? (would help generate $$ to offset expenses). I would not like it because it is really big and draws attention, heavy, cost lots!

However, when I make this purchase I will be spent for a long time! What would you buy. Help appreciated.

331273685_u5SQQ-L.

331272842_GgjeJ-L.

331265952_SBMAT-L.

2. i own both lens and they both happen to be my favourate pairing.

though i would lean to the 85 1.4 for personal use, for pratical reasons (and the fact you would get some money from it) i would buy the 70-200. it is significantly bigger and more expensive, but where you are at right now it makes the most sense i feel.

but the 85 1.4 should be high on the list for your next purchase.

good luck on getting the 70-200, they are in short supply. i recently bought mine second hand.

3. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Its just so hard to hide the 70-200 from the family!

4. mchung

mchung

Sep 17, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fairly simple: If sport shooting is an important consideration along with portraits, the 70-200VR is your main choice. It'll also do a great job on portraits (with the intimidation factor to consider).

If portraits are the primary use, then the 85/1.4 is a slightly better choice, for depth of field control and it's not intimidating. It won't be long enough for most field sports, but it doesn't mean you can't use it for sports at all, you just need to be selective. It is a more special-purpose lens of course. I got mine purely to lessen the intimidation factor, but then I decided I didn't like it as much for general portraiture on FX.

As a reference, on my D3, I use and like the 105/2DC more than the 85/1.4 for headshots. For group shots and event work, I use the 24-70 which gives me both flexibility and quality, so consider if you'd actually use the 85/1.4 as much as you'd think you might compared to the 70-200.

5. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    70-200 and 85/1.4 are my favorite lenses, along with the 28-70. I probably use the 70-200 more than any other lens, and in a wide variety of situations, so it gets my vote. Bought mine from a Cafe member around 8-9 months ago.

6. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I don't own the 70-200. Every time I think about spending the $1600, I think of how good my 70-300vr is. I know the other is better, but that darn 70-300vr is so sweet and I already have it.

As to the 85 f1.4, I purchased this lens on the advise of many here and the quality of images I saw from this lens. I was going to get the f1.8, but I was told that there was something magical about the f1.4. I bought it and have never been so enamored by a chunk of glass in my life. I wish I had that lens in a 20, 35, 150 macro and higher. It's just that good. This lens and the D300 have raised the bar on my level of imagery.

It's made me reconsider every lens I own and have considered.

For this reason, I vote for the 85 f1.4. Just my silly opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.