Which lenses are "weather proof"

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by craig.martell, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Hey folks,

One of the things I like about Olympus is that their mid-range lenses were weather sealed, and that is one of the reasons I bought the D200. I now have a 180mm f/2.8 and an 85 f/1.4. How would I tell if these are weather sealed? What about other lenses? I don't want to shoot in a downpour, but I do want to go to the water where I sometimes get splashed.

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  2. Don't quote me on this one.

No lens is totally "weather proof" but I do believe the 17-55, the 70-200VR & other pro lenses have more of "weather proofing" than the regular consumer lenses.

I know I've read somewhere that some are more "weather resistant" than others. From what I remember it's some of the pro lenses.

However I wish to point out that when I started photography about 27 years ago with my first Nikon FM. I had a 50mm f/1.8 which saw rain, snow etc etc with no problem.

Lil

3. As far as I know, these are the only sealed Nikkors (I'd also love to know if there are others - this isn't a definitive list by any means):

AF-S 17-55/2.8 DX
    AF-S 105/2.8 VR
    AF-S 70-200/2.8 VR
    AF-S 200/2.0 VR
    AF-S 200-400/4.0 VR
    AF-S 300/2.8 VR

And the AF-S 18-70/3.5-4.5 DX has a rubber gasket around the mount, but from what I understand it is not otherwise sealed.

If you're going to be out in conditions where your gear might get wet, I'd suggest covering it up whether it's sealed or not. A wet camera or lens will not be covered under Nikon's warranty either way, so I'd rather not take the chance.

4. I'm sorry but I can't help myself: weather proof is a pathetic marketing gimmick.

Weather proof? bwahahaha...

5. The ONLY weather-proof lenses made by Nikon are the ones made for the Nikonos, a true foul weather or underwater camera. I'd be skeptical and careful about any others.

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Does anyone know how weatherproof other lenses are, specifically lenses such as the 200mm and 85mm micros? I try to avoid any rain on them. Not even a drop if I can help it.

7. I've shot a few outdoor concerts and some marathons in the pouring rain with a D200/Nikon 80-200mm AF-S combo and haven't experienced any problems. Keep an eye on the battery grip to make sure water doesn't seep in and you should be fine.

8. Not as much as "Weather resistant"! :biggrin:

9. I used the 18-70 in the rain and the 18-200 as well, all in light rain for a very brief period and always pointed the camera towards the ground as soon as the shot was taken - I also used the 85/1.4 in light rain a few times being quick to go inside, I recently bought the 17-55 which I am sure can withstand a little more wet weather - this said unless you stay out all day in the rain, a few minutes here and there shouldn't kill your equipement, any equipment, they are built to withstand a little abuse - if you are to use your equipemnt under light rain for more than a few minutes here and there, once in a blue moon, get a couple $6 plastic cover and save $thousands in equipment would be my advice.

10. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Rather than relying on the lens to be "weatherproof" there are several products or as dude suggests plastic bags that are much more viable options. Most cover the camera body and lens.