Which lenses for Botswana??????

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by NJDJ, Jun 7, 2007.

1. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    I am booking a trip to Botswana early next year and wanted to have the right glass. I know I have the wide and mid covered but I feel light on the long end. Right now my longest glass is the 80-200 AFS and I also have a 1.4 TC. From those "in the know," will that be okay or do I really need longer? I'm thinking about pics of the lions, wild dogs, and such. I have been lusting for a 200 f2 or also thinking about the 300 2.8 (probabely not the VR due to expense), but I hate to think of spending the extra money right now--this trip already costs too much!! What do you guys and gals think?

2. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    No advice from any Africa travelers??

3. Given the opportunity you'll have and considering expenses, I would get the 300 f4 AFS lens. You can pick these up for about $850-$900. Combine it with your 1.4 TCE and you'll have decent reach.

PaulC

4. Toklat

Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Alaska
    I spent a month in Botswana last April, and my best all around lens was the old 80-400VR with a beanbag for support. Most of what you will be viewing will fall within that range, and most subjects are either not moving very fast or stationary. Birds and BIF being the exception. Another plus for the 80-400 is the fact that you will have a LOT of dust from April thru November, so you dont want to be changing lenses any more than you have to. I found it very helpful to keep the camera in a large clear plastic bag on my lap, only pulling it out when we were stopped and or ready to shoot. This mitigated the dust problem to a great degree.
    It seems there was almost always plenty of time to compose and set up your shots, and the beanbag (Safari Sack in my case) worked very, very well out of an open Landcruiser.
    I am headed back in late September. I will be taking along 2 D200s and the 80-400VR, 300 2.8VR, a 1.7TC, and a 18-200VR.

Eyes on Africa site has some helpful safari photo tips.

http://www.eyesonafrica.net/safari-photography.htm