Which macro lens should I get ??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Johan, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Thailand in September and therefore I will be picking up the 24-70mm 2.8 for my D3 next Wednesday. I also would like to get a marco lens. You got the 105 2.8 VR and the brand new 60mm 2.8 . I have been reading alot of reviews on the internet all saying that these lenses are fantastic. I really don't know which one to buy, I just want to get the most out of the combination (D3 + lens).
    On one site I read that the 60mm on a fx-format is a bit too short, so if that's true than I guess the 105 is the better choice. But is the 105 as sharp as the 60mm ??

What do you guys think of it ??

Kind Regards

Johan

2. Johan,

I've only owned one macro lens and it is the 105 VR. I've been very impressed with it. And, the VR has come in handy for those shots that aren't quite as close.

The following link contains some images I've captured with the 105 VR (most of which were taken with the D80)...

http://gnagel.zenfolio.com/p1067623450/

Glenn

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Johan: Im getting killer Images with the Nikkor 105 F4 AIS and the Nikkor 200 F4 AIS. I use these lens naked and combined with tubes and T.C 1.4 and TC 301 on the D3. For the money, I think this combo is hard to beat. I also picked up a SB-29 ring light:biggrin:. Iv grown to love this flash for macro and general photgraphy. I often use it use it off camera inside and bounce it off the ceiling for a really soft natural light. When I went a looking for Macro lenses, I soon figured I could get all this stuff ( 105 F4 AIS, 200 F4 AIS, Pk13 tube and the ring light) for the price of a new a new 105 VR. On the D3 this set up has been keeping me really busy and providing excellent IQ of my captures and hours of enjoyment in use. Best of luck on your purchace and the trip.

Gregory

4. I'm partial to the Nikon 105mm myself, I don't own the VR version though. I hear Sigma's 105 and 150 are excellent also.

5. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Glenn,

Thanks for the fast reply man ! I have taken a look at those really fine images of yours. The 105 VR looks very very sharp to me. A macro lens fitted with a VR system is quite something. Thanks for the link.
    I'm leaning towards this one already :)

Kind Regards

Johan

6. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I really like my 105VR, but the Sigma 150 (aka Bugma) is starting to draw some attention from me. As a matter of fact, I put one in the cart at Adorama (they were out of stock though) just to check.:eek:

For what I do, which is very very amateur, I like having the VR.

7. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium

Thanks once again for your replies!!!

To be honest, I haven't been looking at those other lenses yet, I mean the other nikkors. I tned to stick with nikkor cause I'm not a great fan of third party lenses and I'm a sucker for 2.8 once. A friend of mine owns the 200 f4 and is over the moon about. I'm going to check these lenses out as well.
    But looks to me that you all love the 105, VR or not.:smile:

Kind Regards

8. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
    There seem to be a number of excellent choices. I have a D3 and I chose the sigma 150 so that it would double as a portrait lens - while waiting for the new primes - when the 85 wasnt long enough. I'm very happy with it and would buy it again. Once in awhile I do wish I had VR.
    The 105VR was my very close 2nd choice. I heard the tamron 90 is the best macro bargain but I dont think I would like it extending out so much. The sigma 150 has IF and constant length.

9. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Yes the Micro 200 F4 IF AIS is a very fine thing. Iv even been using it for people with nice results. And Iv been told the New Nikkor AF version is "way better" IQ wise.:eek:. But like I said , for the price , the Nikkor AIS macro's balenced with excellent IQ is tough to beat.

Gregory

10. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I have the Nikkor 105mm VR, it's awesome in my view.

11. Hi Johan,

I have the 105mm VRII and really like it on my D3. You will find the VRII will be a great joy when you use the 105 as a mild telephoto on your trip. The VRII isn't much help when you are shooting micro at magnifications of 1:1 to maybe 1:4. It also is a nice mate to the 24-70mm F2.8.

Regards,

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i'm a bit partial to nikon glass as well. but u might consider the most excellent tamron 90 2.8. it's much lighter than the others mentioned here and imho, best bokeh of the bunch...;-)

13. 105VR is the lens that compelled me to switch to Nikon. It's great handy lens. But, knjow that all the macro lenses in that range are excellent: the Tamron 90, Tokina 100, Sigma 105. A favorite of many if you want more length, is the Sigma 150.

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    sigma 150 2.8 for sure

15. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    What do you intend to photograph? That makes a huge difference.

The 60mm is ideal for studio work, and plants and fungi. The 105mm is better for insects due to greater working distance. The 200mm is even better for insects due to even more working distance.

16. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Sigma 150 f2.8 APO Macro gets my vote. It's big and it's heavy, but it has a tripod collar and is as sharp as any Nikkor in my opinion and as good of a build quality.

17. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Had the 105 VR at the Botanical Garden last weekend. Couldn't get it back from my wife.

The VR makes it easy to handhold for shots you might otherwise need a tripod for. This is a factor worth considering if you plan on hand-holding for a lot of close-up shots. I hadn't considered this when choosing the 10 over the 60 but have found the VR quite useful.

18. I have the Tamron 90mm currently, might a bit longer macro one day but I mainly shoot flowers so the focal length is very good. If and when I get into bugs/bees I will look toward the 150mm+ range.

19. El Guero

El Guero

Aug 5, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    Leif definitely has the right idea. The best lens for the job has a lot to do with what the job is. I own three macro lenses (Nikon 105/2.8 VR, Sigma 150/2.8, and Zeiss 100/2). All are superb, but each one has a different set of tradeoffs. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to keep only one, I guess it would be the Zeiss (most of my macro work uses manual focus). But I would miss the others.

If you are considering the Sigma 150, you might also want to get the Sigma 1.4 TC. The two match very well and the added reach (especially since you use an FX camera) would give you great flexibility.

20. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    I have the tokina 100mm. amazing lens. dont dismiss it in your research and your possible options ;)