Which monitor?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Beezle, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Well, this circa 2001 Sony is finally dying. I guess 2006 is too much for it. :rolleyes:

So I guess I'm ordering up a new screen really soon. I have no idea what I want. I do play some games, so LCDs would be suspect. I don't want a really big screen. I tend to go for multiple screens vs. one giant (the 2nd screen here is a cheap LCD). This one that is gasping its last breaths is a 19 inch CRT.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'll spend up around $1K to 2K at the very most, and only if it will last five years and generally make my life a vastly more pleasant experience. Great color for photography of course matters.

What would you get?

PS, keep in mind I can buy Apple's displays at a bit of a discount. However, this does not mean I won't stray for a better screen.

2. I was going to post a similar thread so speak up folks what monitor should we be looking at???

For you Mac folks I just played with a 20" G5 imac and all I can say is wow!! it almost made me want to return from the dark side. So aside from switching systems (and having to buy all new software) what monitor gives the best bang for the buck. The Sony's look good but I don't know any real specs on them. anyone?

3. Still not sure what I should get.

Seems that the choice is great color OR great motion (for games and video). So I am looking at the best compromise between those.

Size wise, I am thinking the Eizo above is too small. The larger LaCie LCD is a nice size, though not wide screen. I could live without wide screen.

Note this is for a PC, not a Mac.

4. I know you are more interested in a CRT, but if you want to look into high quality LCD's please look at the viewsonics. I purchased one 21" VP211b(I think, can double check later today) after seeing Birger post on it many months ago. It is 1600 X 1280 DVI and AWESOME!!! IF you want more info on it let me know and I will get exact details.
    Dave

5. brianjb

brianjb Guest

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Eizo displays. They are geared toward professionals and typically have excellent color and contrast.

A cheaper alternative would be the Viewsonic VP190.

As mentioned was mentioned, the VP211 would be a great choice if the color accuracy and contrast is as good as the VP190. I haven't seen any reviews on the VP211 to validate this.

6. marc

marc Guest

i have just bought, tuesday a new 24' nec, i have 3 21' necs

they are excellent, since i use the screens for my work, i need very high resolution and sharp viewing

the 24 is 1900 x 1200 i think, has usb, card reader, all digital

cannot wait to get it, this monitor is going to run dual, with a nec 21

will run on a new dell 3.2ghz p4, dual nvidia 256k video etc.
    4mgb ram, dual 250gb hd

i hope the thing works, what will my electric bill look like.

well good luck beezle

7. brianjb

brianjb Guest

Wow a 24 foot monitor, that thing must be a beast :wink:

8. FYI, Smartshooter.com (Wil Crockett) is running a series of LCD monitor tests which, according to their newletter, they will report on in February.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

9. I think a LaCie would be my choice. The so sell refurbs and very descent prices with warranties.............just a thought

10. marc

marc Guest

yes 24 ft would be cool, 24 in, is better

typo

new year , getting older

need forgiveness

google 465 close, 469+ high

now that's important

11. Hey Beezle, how's it going? Looks like his Steveness had a good day. I think the new iMacs and MacBook Pros are as good or better than my dual 1.8 G5 PowerMac that I got in March 2004. I think I can still get another year and a half out of it b/w ram upgrades and eventually a new video card, but we'll see.

Anyway, I just ordered a Dell 2005fpw, same LCD as the 20" Apple, different everything else though. The two are comparable in performance, however not having the steep Apple discount put me in the Dell camp unfortunately. I'd much rather support Apple than Dell. Usually, when I look for a new monitor of any kind I check Tom's Hardware Guide and Anandtech for starters. They have fairly thorough analysis techniques when compared to say cnet, for example.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

12. brianjb

brianjb Guest

I have been doing quite a bit of reading lately, and it looks like the Lacie 321 and the the Eizo 997 are at the top for photography. They fall a bit short in other areas like movies and games if you do that sort of thing. The Dell 2405 appears to be a very solid all-around monitor for 1/2 the price of those other two, but you won't get the color accuracy and shadow detail that you get with the Eizo and Lacie monitors.

All my comments are based on reviews that did technical anaylsis of each display, showing the true contrast rating when calibrated, the color gamut, color accuracy, actual refresh rate, and how consistent the brightness is over the entire display.

I can't wait until the new lumiled displays come down in price. For those that don't know, they are the first lcd's that can display the entire adobe rgb gamut where as all other lcd's can only display up to srgb or slightly more. Unfortunately the going rate is over $6000 for a 21" display.