Which Monopod ?

I want the one that keeps me from waving back and forth. Do they make those.. LOLOL

Jay,

I use a Bogen / Manfrotto 579. It's aluminum and costs about $40 from B&H. It weighs 1 lb 4 oz. You can get a CF that weighs 1 lb 0 oz for only $220. 8)

I also use the Manfrotto 3232 swivel head instead of a ballhead. You can read all about it here:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/index.html

I use this with a Wimberley Sidekick. Read about it here:

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm

This set-up handles the D2H / 300 2.8 (with any TC) just fine. You can see some (crummy) shots of my set-up here:

http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/265428

Hope this helps.

Frank

Flew,

Bring that with you to the next shoot and teach me how to use these darn things.

PLEASE

Gale said:
Flew,

Bring that with you to the next shoot and teach me how to use these darn things.

PLEASE

No prob Gale. It's in the back of the truck (which usually goes where the front goes....;-)).

Frank

I just recieved the Feisol CF Monopod. I have not used it yet. But it is very light and appears to be very sturdy. I ordered the Bogen 3229 tilt head with quick release.

Still working on the definive answer on this one....

I use a mono pod with my 70-180 and 80-400VR when hiking for macro (with diopter) and deer. Much better than hand holding, More convenient than my Gitzo 1228, but still a (workable) compromise.

The mono pod is of little use for me when using my 500 mm (with 1.5 crop factor) though (may be my technique), nothing beats the Gitzo 1325 here.

I use a Velbon Sherpa pro CF-7, carbon , sturdy, has twist locks but in contrast to Gitzo mono pods you only need 1 hand to lock them due to a very convenient locking mechanism.
I hate the Bogen/Manfrotto "flip" locks both for the noise they are causing and cause of pinched finger tips..

Jay, I use the Feisol with the 3232 head----- The Feisol is hard to beat for value in CF and it's been great.

I don't understand why folks would want to spend big bucks on what's basically a stick :roll:. Let's compare a cheapie and a carbon fiber monopod.

The Manfrotto 676B supports 10 pounds, fold up to 18.9", extends to 60.6", weighs 14.9 oz., and sells for $33 at BH Photo.

The Feisol CF monopod supports 15.4 pounds, fold up to 20.9", extends to 65.8", weighs 12.6 oz., and sells for around $90.

Unless you're real tall, I don't see where the extra $57 buys you much.

R

Robin Horlock

I'm with you Frank! My stickpod has so many scratches
on it that if I did not know it was Manfrotto I would never
know. Will I ever notice the difference between 1 lb.4oz and
12oz? Probably not. Although I highly recommend the Manfrotto
swivel head for the top.(3232)

Save your money, take your significant other out for dinner!

Cheers,
Robin

I use a Manfrotto 682b with detachable legs for added stability and a Manfrotto 484RC2 quick release ball head.
It's a little on the heavy side but does give me stable platform

Rich

Uncle Frank said:
I don't understand why folks would want to spend big bucks on what's basically a stick :roll:. Let's compare a cheapie and a carbon fiber monopod.

Uncle,

Agree to disagree: have been using an cheap one for 10 years to my advantage, but now really like the Velbon: has twist locks I can operate with 1 hand.

W

William

Bogen 3249 monopod

Including the Acratech ball head, total weight is c 2 lb 10 oz, 4 section monopod with cold-weather hand protection due to rubber-composite grip.

I do not remember the price.. excellent stability for 200-500mm Tamron and 300 f/2.8 Nikkor.

Latest threads

Top Bottom