Which Nikon for free?

Real Name
Justin
So I've won a prize at work and have 40,000 credits. I can go over the 40k but it's out of pocket which you can do up to 25% of the total purchase. 40 credits are roughly $1. Here are my choices:

Nikon D5600 18-55mm VR Lens Kit. Comes with the 1 18-55 lens.

Nikon D3500 DSLR Camera with AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Lens

Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR Lens

Instant Pot 3 Qt. Ultra 10-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker :) Kinda kidding..

I live in the mountains and would really like to have the 300mm vr lens. Or is there an even better lens for the money? ie: Tamron, Sigma, etc I'm leaning towards the D5600 because it has far more AF points and a touchscreen. So if I want that I may just have to buy it on Amazon for $150. Are the AF points worth the extra money here? Is there any real difference? Otherwise I can get the D3500 and the 300mm VR with credits to spare. FWIW I do have DSLR experience via Rebel XTi from 2006. Interested to see how much these things have changed! :)

Thanks!

Real Name
David
AF system does make a difference. It's a little harder this year since Nikon finally updated the D3500 to the same body style as the D5500 / D5600 and the D5600 is now a little older. But I'd still probably go for the D5600.

Real Name
Justin
Ok well it was a few days before I heard anything from here and I was forced to make a decision. And of course, not being familiar with Nikons naming convention, I feel that I messed up. I was given $1000 instead of points to use on Amazon. So to my logic the 5600 was better than the 3500 so the 7100 must be even better. Yeah. So I got a lightly used (1000 shutter ct) d7100 + Sigma 17-50 2.8 + $80 ball head tripod.

So how bad did I do?

Ok well it was a few days before I heard anything from here and I was forced to make a decision. And of course, not being familiar with Nikons naming convention, I feel that I messed up. I was given $1000 instead of points to use on Amazon. So to my logic the 5600 was better than the 3500 so the 7100 must be even better. Yeah. So I got a lightly used (1000 shutter ct) d7100 + Sigma 17-50 2.8 + $80 ball head tripod.

So how bad did I do?
You did Fan-tas-tic !
D7100/7200 are the best Nikon APS-C ever (IMHO).

Real Name
Justin
Wow so glad to hear this! I was worried since it’s 5 years or so old it would be outdated. But then comparing specs I saw the 7100 still had better or equivalent specs to the 5600.

Thanks for the input!

Real Name
David
It's a fine camera. I'm not really a fan of that Sigma, nothing wrong with it, just not one I personally would pick. But should work well with the D7100.

You are correct in you assumption with a few twists:
D3#00 - Very Entry Level - not something I every really recommend personally.
D5#00 - Entry level with some room to grow - My son has had a D5300 for a few years; he might upgrade at some point, but for now it does what he needs.
D7#00 - Enthusiast
D#00 DX - Advanced Enthusiast

The twist:

Nikon had the D300 (& D300s) and the D90, they attempted to merge the them into the D7000. While the D7000 had upgrades to both the D300s and D90, it also had too many downgrades from the D300s as well. Nikon then upgraded the D7000 --> D7100 --> D7200 --> D7500. They also finally did upgrade the D300s to the D500 in between the D7200 and D7500. As a result they remove some features from the D7200 when they created the D7500 to the annoyance of many.

So yes higher number models WITHIN the number of digits mean more advance, but the lower number of digits means most advanced / professional (think of the D5).

Real Name
Justin
It's a fine camera. I'm not really a fan of that Sigma, nothing wrong with it, just not one I personally would pick. But should work well with the D7100.

You are correct in you assumption with a few twists:
D3#00 - Very Entry Level - not something I every really recommend personally.
D5#00 - Entry level with some room to grow - My son has had a D5300 for a few years; he might upgrade at some point, but for now it does what he needs.
D7#00 - Enthusiast
D#00 DX - Advanced Enthusiast

The twist:

Nikon had the D300 (& D300s) and the D90, they attempted to merge the them into the D7000. While the D7000 had upgrades to both the D300s and D90, it also had too many downgrades from the D300s as well. Nikon then upgraded the D7000 --> D7100 --> D7200 --> D7500. They also finally did upgrade the D300s to the D500 in between the D7200 and D7500. As a result they remove some features from the D7200 when they created the D7500 to the annoyance of many.

So yes higher number models WITHIN the number of digits mean more advance, but the lower number of digits means most advanced / professional (think of the D5).

So you can see why I had some confusion, especially coming from Canon albeit 10+ years ago. I don't think I mentioned it already but I also went ahead and bought the 70-300 VR lens. I'd be interested in having someone go through the camera and complete an inspection as well as a cleaning but I live in the middle of nowhere so this isnt possible without a 6 hour drive. Could you all tell me what to use to clean the outside of the camera and the mirror?

Real Name
David
So you can see why I had some confusion, especially coming from Canon albeit 10+ years ago. I don't think I mentioned it already but I also went ahead and bought the 70-300 VR lens. I'd be interested in having someone go through the camera and complete an inspection as well as a cleaning but I live in the middle of nowhere so this isnt possible without a 6 hour drive. Could you all tell me what to use to clean the outside of the camera and the mirror?
Yes it can be confusing, but then again so was the Canon EOS 400D (aka. EOS Digital Rebel XTi / aka. EOS Kiss Digital X). ;)

Cleaning would be for someone else to answer, I live in area where I actually have a couple of service options.

Don't worry. You've got a good rig. Run it for a bit before you start looking for issues. David doesn't like the Siggy, Maybe you will... I think it rocks. But it's up to you, give it a chance. You already have it, why not? The camera too. Use it for a bit before you "think" it has issues. Then if you find a need to have it serviced many of us here on the cafe use Professional Nikon Service & Repair - Authorized Photo Service, Inc. . I have personally many times, and won't hesitate to again.

Bottom line: Use it. Wring it out good. THEN decide if it's letting you down somehow.

Could you all tell me what to use to clean the outside of the camera and the mirror?
Don't try to clean the mirror...it is very delicate and cleaning should be left to professionals. You can clean the sensor with the right tools.

If you don't have one you can download the manual for free from the NikonUSA web site. It has instructions for cleaning the outside, but really, you can just wipe it with a damp cloth or microfiber cloth.

No real reason to clean the mirror. Dirt/stuff on the mirror, no matter how bad it is, does not show up on the image. Over the years, I have learned to look around the little dust bunny or so on a mirror.
Do learn how to clean your sensor- or actually the glass over your sensor. It is easy to do with the right equipment.
Gary

Real Name
Justin
Wow what a beast this thing is! I have the Sigma 17-50 on it and it is quite the package. I stopped at a scenic overlook on the way to work this morning to take a sunrise shot and had to leave the aperture on f13 because I didn't know how to adjust it. lol Such a noob! Anyway I figured it out and even on fine/jpeg I am impressed with the quality of the images!

Attachments

learn how to clean your sensor- or actually the glass over your sensor. It is easy to do with the right equipment.
Gary
The D7000, 7100 and 7200 don't have a high pass filter "the [glass] over your sensor"... Do some research before you dig into that. Most other cameras do have a high pass filter, so yeah, they are easy enough clean with Eclipse Optic Cleaning Fluid, and Pec Pads. But be damned careful on your d7100 as you will be right on the sensor. No "glass" or filter on that puppy.

The D7000, 7100 and 7200 don't have a high pass filter "the [glass] over your sensor"... Do some research before you dig into that. Most other cameras do have a high pass filter, so yeah, they are easy enough clean with Eclipse Optic Cleaning Fluid, and Pec Pads. But be damned careful on your d7100 as you will be right on the sensor. No "glass" or filter on that puppy.
True, those models, and others lack the Optical Low Pass Filter, BUT they do have a clear protective filter. The sensor is NOT exposed. So cleaning is as easy as it is with all other models--with the right cleaning equipment.

Also the D7100 has built-in sensor cleaning (page 313 of the manual)

Last edited:
Really? Well I learned something today then. When I was in the market for a new APS-C body and landed a D7100 I read a bunch of articles that said there was no filter over the sensor on the D7xxx models. I assumed no filter meant nothing. Good on you Nick, I stand corrected.

Really? Well I learned something today then. When I was in the market for a new APS-C body and landed a D7100 I read a bunch of articles that said there was no filter over the sensor on the D7xxx models. I assumed no filter meant nothing. Good on you Nick, I stand corrected.
Truth be told, I learned from you that the 7xxx line had no filter. I'd always thought that the 800E and the 850 were the ones that pushed the envelope. So went look for what sensor cleaning would be allowable. Of course, Nikon has always suggested sending any DSLR to a Nikon repair center for cleaning . . .!
For the record, I have yet to need a wet cleaning on my D850--the sensor cleaner and a couple of puffs from a rocket blower are all I've ever needed. My D2x and D810 on the other hand were wet cleaned frequently.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom