Which one for AstroPhotography Z6 or Z7

I'm considering either the Z6 or Z7 as a change up from my D800 but I'm not sure which sensor would have the best low light capabilities. The Z7 has a pixel size of 4.34 while the Z6 is 5.94. Not sure if it is best to have a large pixel size or if smaller is better for shooting the night skies. Thanks for any input.

Real Name
Chris
While I am sure that there are some who will disagree (aren’t there always? Lol) I would say if it’s just these two that you are considering; the pixel size difference is not going to make noticeable changes to the way they react for astrophotography through the lens. I would however base your decision on what you ultimately want to do with it. If you are solely going to use it for Astro then I would say between the two get the z6 because it’s cheaper and 24mp is plenty to get amazing photos. But if you intend on making large gallery type prints then I would say get the z7. I use the z7 for Astro and it works great, especially when combined with a tracker and stacking methods. Hope this helps! Best of luck and I look forward to seeing what you decide and shoot!

While I am sure that there are some who will disagree (aren’t there always? Lol) I would say if it’s just these two that you are considering; the pixel size difference is not going to make noticeable changes to the way they react for astrophotography through the lens. I would however base your decision on what you ultimately want to do with it. If you are solely going to use it for Astro then I would say between the two get the z6 because it’s cheaper and 24mp is plenty to get amazing photos. But if you intend on making large gallery type prints then I would say get the z7. I use the z7 for Astro and it works great, especially when combined with a tracker and stacking methods. Hope this helps! Best of luck and I look forward to seeing what you decide and shoot!
Thanks for the reply Chris. I agree that 24mp is ample but I do often print panoramas up to 48" long so not sure if the difference in mp out weighs the noise difference as demonstrated by Acnomad. Astro photography is something i'm playing with but not my main focus.

I own both right now and await clear skies to do more thorough testing. I did post some Z6/Z7 side-by-side results a couple months ago:
Z7 and Z6 for Astrophotography
Thanks for the reply Acnomad. The Z6 definitely seems less noisy at the higher ISO settings. Just not sure if the difference in mp will be bothersome with large prints. Astro photography is something i'm playing with but not my main focus.

Real Name
Andy
Thanks for the reply Acnomad. The Z6 definitely seems less noisy at the higher ISO settings. Just not sure if the difference in mp will be bothersome with large prints. Astro photography is something i'm playing with but not my main focus.
Like you, astrophotography is not my primary genre, but I'm trying to improve. I don't do panos (yet) but I suppose that any overlapping and/or stacking will probably reduce noise enough to make the Z7 a viable choice, as the noise handling is less important when you do that?

Real Name
Chris
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Here is an Astro shot I did with the z7 shortly after it was released with the kit lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom