Which one to buy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Derek

Derek

May 1, 2005
    Ohio
    A friend asked me to help him decide on a new dslr body D70, D70s, Or Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. I Have a D70 and I updated to the 2.0 firmware which makes it a D70s right? Except for some external features? But he is big into getting the new and improved out so I say the D70s. What are your thoughts on this? Is the D70s wirth $130.00 More in price than the D70? Also he has no lenses at all.

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I would get the D70s for the little extra to get the new features.

If he wants to get the Body only, I have a mint-condition kit (18-70) lens for sale.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I would vote for the new D70s.

4. It's smart to get the latest version so I add my vote for the D70s.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Used D100...just a different thought....

Save for a maybe, replacement for D100

6. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

For only a $130 the "s" version may be a better alternative but the differences are really not important. I personally went with a D70 "plain/regular" for my second body, the extra options didn't conivence me to spend more money.

Joel.

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I agree with Joel. If you don't mind throwing away the extra money just for that little 's' then by all means get the latest. If I were buying a D70/s today, I'd get the d70s just because, and not because it's better.

But if money is important, than the only real (read: noticible) difference between the D70 and the D70s is that little 's' that's on the front sticker.

i.e., I usually recommend the D70 for most people, if they can find one.

8. Doesn't the D70s have a slightly larger LCD screen than the D70 (2" vs. 1.8")? Also, the new battery is supposed to last (much?) longer... See: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp

Those 2 items, to me, would be noticeable... so I too would recommend the D70s. ;-)

9. Derek

Derek

May 1, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone for your input D70s it is! :lol: :lol:

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Whoa!

Your friend should do like most of us did. Go try the Nikon handling vs the drebel. There are some people who (probably a genetic defect, but none-the-less) just prefer the handling of a Canon camera.

The lenses they choose and their skill as a photographer (knowing where to point and when to push) will have MUCH more impact on the pictures they get than will the camera body used.