Which OS do you use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Windows (XP or 2000)

60 vote(s)
    72.3%
  2. Mac OSX

23 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Linux

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Perhaps this has been done before, but I think it would be interesting to see the distribution of different operating systems used by Cafe members.

I primarily use Windows XP, but my computers are all dual-boot with Linux, which I use for some applications.

I would like to know if anybody out there uses Linux for photo processing.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Sure, my preferred raw converter Bibble runs very well under Linux. I offload heavy batch processing to the Linux box on the network.

3. Actually ... all of them.... mostly Linux & WinXP and then OSx...

4. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    OSx about 95% of the time. I do have a PC at home to remind me of why I use OSx... :D

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Windows all around.

I couldn't have a serious business without compatibility with Wintel stuff. I work with large companies who are not "artistic", and so I almost never see a Mac or a Linux variant on a desktop or laptop.

I don't hate Macs or anything, but they're much less than 5% of the overall market, far less than that in the Fortune 500 companies, and I can't afford to be "unavailable" with that market. Linux may lurk on the servers, but it's just not being used on desktops or laptops in big businesses, and certainly not by contractors serious about continuing to work with those big businesses.

I've had contracts that stipulate only Windows use for work with certain companies. Professional engineering software is, for the most part, Windows only, especially in my field where some of the essential contract-required software has no Mac equivalents. I'd be stopped dead in my tracks for my work if I even tried to run a Mac most places, aside from losing 90%-plus of the computer assistance that I rely upon for daily success.

The few places that I've seen Macs in use over the last five years are all being mandatorily switched over to Windows by the corporate IT groups. At one site, I was told they were all confiscated and removed in a sweep of the company one day (OTOH, this may have been a sour grapes comment to me by a devout Mac user).

In the business world, for all of the emulators and supposed file compatibilities between operating systems, the only truly compatible OS for Windows...

... is Windows.

John P.

P.S. And hasn't Apple embraced the Intel platform now ?

6. I'm hardcore mac user and die hard Nikonian. :wink:

7. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    Have/use both MAC & PC at home.

8. I use all of them.

I happily only work on OS X. I have tried to avoid having to do much Windows work, which has worked out pretty well.

Personal use wise, I use both seamlessly. Whatever.

9. I use Windows to play videogames, build seriously fast gaming machines, and watch movies...the good ones! :wink:

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Windows 2000

11. Plain old Windows XP...................

Boring eh?

Graeme :smile:

12. JordanLFW

JordanLFW Guest

I use win2k. Its familiar and sleek, and I never saw the need to upgrade to XP.

13. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Split marriage

Our home offices is split down the middle: I have a Mac and would never use anything else. My wife has a PC and would never use anything else.

We're seeing a marriage/IT counselor about our problems. :wink:

14. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I'm running a dual boot redhat Linux E3 and win xp pro. I also have multiple Linux file servers.

I have to disagree With John P. My company, 3rd Largest credit card issuer in the world and 5th largest bank, Uses Linux desktops exclusivly for our it groups.

When I was consulting (for 11 years) I encountered MANY companies doing this. we also have our graphics depeartment using mac OS X (about 300 users).

Dan

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dan :

Heh. Well, I don't claim to have visited _all_ of the big companies. :wink: The ones I do visit are the big petroleum companies, chemical companies, foods or pharma companies - banks don't call on me too much.

But the stats are pretty much incontravertable - Macs are down around 2-4% and Linux variants are around 4%+ (desktops and laptops - servers are entirely a different matter w.r.t. Linux variants). This may swing outside the US, as some countries are making a point of open source SW, but in the US, MS's OS is truly dominant in market share for desktops and laptops. Those aren't my stats, BTW, but come from sources like PCMagazine.

John P.

P.S. And one wonders if Apple will ever decide to broaden their market appeal by selling the OS for other machines. The changeover to solely Intel chips would make it possible to do this, but I very much doubt Apple will try to move outside its little niche, sadly. Some real competition for MS would be a good thing all around, IMO, but Apple doesn't seem to want to attempt this.

16. Apple doesn't need to become just another commodity in order to succeed.

We just had our best quarter and year ever, and it wasn't just from selling iPods.

17. I use Windows XP. I'm not hugely into computers (photography aside) and Windows is what I was raised on. Since I never really developed much of an interest in alternative operating systems then Windows is just what I stuck with. It's easy to use and when you plug something into the computer (like a camera) it, quite simply, works..

18. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Sigh. Not my intention to go down the road of "My OS is better than yours" in this discussion. Personally, I'd like Apple to have a larger influence on the mass market, not to be a commodity, but to provide competition in the market.

And I'm not saying Apple is a "failure", by any means. But let's not try and compare MS and Apple in terms of "success" either, as the hard numbers just won't be in Apple's favour (e.g., world and domestic market shares, actual dollar profits for the company, influence in the overall computer industry for hardware changes, etc.).

Instead, let's just hope that the marketplace doesn't become any further slanted to any one company, as that's a poor situation for the consumer, and further hope that the OS alternatives like Linux and Apple continue to develop new features to lure consumers to test and try them.

John P.

19. I wasn't playing the "mine's better" game either. Just pointing out that we are doing just fine. I can't think of anyone at work that cares what our "market share" is, though I suppose it must matter to someone.

What we do get more than our share of is attention in the media. Always amazes me.

20. I am a Windows XP user but get exposed to MAC's by some of my children.