Which P&S is "on the top of the list"?

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by Chris C, Jul 4, 2008.

1. I've recently taken up a new sport that pretty much requires I use both hands most of the time. I'd love to be able to take pictures while participating, but certainly can't use a bulky and complicated DSLR at the same time.

I am spoiled by RAW and the higher quality results. First off, are there any P&S Nikons that shoot RAW? Second, which produces the highest quality? Or should I be looking at a different brand?

Any thoughts or comments would be welcomed.

2. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    The Nikon P6000 when it comes out? Canon G9? Good luck with your shopping/hunting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  3. The Fuji F31 has the best quality and high iso performance , the S6500 has the same sensor and 28-300 manual zoom lens .

4. Thanks for the link, Bob. The 6000 just might be what I'm wanting. Wonder when it'll be introduced to the public?

5. I both know and understand that many of you resent "newbies" posting the old question "Which camera should I buy?". But the reason I asked for opinions on P&S cameras is I'm totally unfamiliar with them and need to make a purchase fairly soon. Have to admit I'm spoiled by even the less-than-superb quality results from my D70, but spoiled I am! So I'm looking for as good a P&S as I can find..........Nikon preferably. Any opinions and help would be appreciated. Surely there are more than a handful of you who use them from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  6. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    It's a very fair question. It's just a relatively broad question. There are so many P&S cameras that try to achieve different things. Some are small, some have big zoom, some have no zoom but focus on IQ, some try to be DSLR cameras (and are almost as big), etc. Unfortunately Nikon is pretty much "bleh" in the P&S area right now. Hopefully the p6000 (not official) changes some of that for them.

The ones I see getting the most praise are the Canon G9, Canon S5 IS, Panasonic TZ5 (no raw though), Sigma DP1, Fuji f100...

I've used both of the Canon's and they were nice cameras. Very versatile.

7. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Depending on how big your hands are... I was looking for a compact, too. I ended up with a Nikon D40 - small, raw mode, and it can shoot in P mode.

Depending on what exactly your shooting, slap an 28mm AF (a.k.a. "el cheapo") lens on it and put in on infinity, aperture priority mode with aperture f/8 and you have a pretty light and compact set that can be used single-handedly.

Not saying that it is the way to go for you, but just offering suggestions.

Regards,
    Bart

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Just Bought a G9 On Sale

For my wife....Circuit City had it for $70 off on line vs their in store pricing.

I must say that as long as I keep it at IS) 400 or below it takes really nice images and has a superb metering system at quick glance.

I paid $429 for it.

9. My hands are averaged size..........whatever that means. But I won't have room for something that hangs around my neck on a neck-strap. Something tucked inside my jacket with a cord on it is about what I'm after. Lightweight and small and all the while taking excellent pictures!!!!!:eek::biggrin: Not so much to ask is it?:rolleyes: And even with it's accolades, the G9 is still a Canon. I'd like to use my NX program, so would like to stay with Nikon. Maybe I should just stop asking questions and wait for the P6000 to be announced.

10. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Olympus 1030SW...it's 10MP and it's also an underwater camera. The guy at the store dropped it (purposely) on the floor (5 ft and under) and it worked perfectly. It also does Panaramic shots.

Here is a shot of my son's girlfriend underwater...

P7050006.gif

11. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    That's kind of the issue. Nikon doesn't have any current models with RAW support. NX does support JPEG though so any of the mentioned cameras will work with it, just without the flexibility you're used to. The G9 is Canon's only camera with RAW support I believe as well, it's just not common in P&S cameras. That canon, some Ricoh cameras, and the Sigma are some of the few that have a RAW option... NX works with none of those.

The rumored P6000 might have RAW support, but again it hasn't even been confirmed by Nikon.

12. remo

remo

May 12, 2008
    NJ
    I just bought G9 for my wife and to be honest I'm not impressed. It has a lot of controls but image noise is a killer (i guess I'm spoiled D300 images)

13. Who wouldn't be spoiled by using a D300? You're hardly comparing apples to apples there!!!!!:biggrin:

14. G9.....Love it!

Using it with Bogen BO3007 Tabletop Tripod, Really Right Stuff L-Bracket, and BH-25 Pro. I am planning on getting the Canon underwater housing too.

So you know, a G10 is scheduled for September.

GenoP

Canon PowerShot G9
    1/500s f/5.6 at 7.4mm iso80
    original.gif

Canon PowerShot G9
    1/20s f/2.8 at 9.0mm iso80
    View attachment 221600

Canon PowerShot G9
    1/40s f/3.5 at 16.8mm iso320
    View attachment 221601

15. Snapshot with Fuji F31fd at iso 3200 ..... it's really good up to iso 800 .

003.jpg

16. argross

argross

May 22, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    While I am a Nikonophile (sp?), I do own and use a G9. I like this camera very much, although as a P&S ultimately, it is not great in low light situations. I would suggest that you take a very close look at the G9 so that you will a a good basis of comparison when the P6000 comes out.
    Tony

17. Thanks, Tony. Actually, low light isn't something I've ever been interested in, so it's never been a concern. But I've read/heard a lot of negative comments about the noise level of the G9, so it's refreshing to hear your positive referral. I'll keep it in mind...............though I'm really hoping to stay with Nikon because I'm very happy with NX and don't want to have to learn another proprietary program.