Which photo would be a better one to print...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Aug 20, 2005.

1. going to a seminar by a guy that has helped me a lot in my practice. He and his wife enjoy wildlife stuff so I thought I'd print a photo of an osprey in flight. These are my best ones, but part of the wing is cut off in each. I printed 8x10's of each and they look great, but considering the cut off wingtip, which pose do you think is better looking. This crop is taken from a landscape format shot.

original.

original.

2. I can see your quandary, Harris. The eye is sharper in the second, but I like the composition in the first better. I guess if I'd have to make a choice I'd go with the second one, but I think I'd crop the lower wing to about the point where the dark feathers are on the lower wing (bottom of these feathers). You can play with the dimensions by scrolling here on the screen. I think a crop would give you better proportions for the image and catch that lovely eye!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. I would pick the second one Harris. Sort of an equal crop on each wing looks more pleasing to me.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    If I had a printer, I'd print both. :wink:

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The second capture, Harris.

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Both excellent images, Harris. I would definitely go with #2 because of the sharpness of the eye, and then play with cropping until you are happy with the result. I would try to keep the eye in the middle of the image to bring attention to it.

Gordon

8. 2nd shot Harris, then again you can print both, only ink!!!!!

9. I concur with the others, Harris. Since they both have the wings clipped, I'd go with the 2nd one. Eye and feathers in that shot seem a bit sharper to me!!!