Which Photography Magazines Do You Read?

Hey Everyone,

The time of year is approaching when I must re-new magazine subscriptions and I subscribe to three photography magazines: Photographic, Outdoor Photography and Popular Photography. I enjoy Photographic magazine, but the two others don't particularly impress me. What photography magazines do you regularly read and what do you like most about the publication?

I don't subscribe to any, but I do swing by the store every now and then to pick up something to read. I'm liking Popular Photography less and less. I'm finding overrun with add and very little that interest me. In it's place I'm more often picking up Petersen's Photographic. I really like Outdoor Photographer and a new one that hit the streets not to long ago is Digital PhotoPro (comes out bimonthly).

Thanks for your input Todd. We think alike regarding Popular Photography. I am interested in a magazine that teaches me something rather than sells me something. The Digital PhotoPro is one that I will track down today for a "test drive".

gho

I don't suscribe to any photography magazine... But I've got subscriptions to Modern Bride, Brides and one more (forgot its name).

Home: Columbia, MD, USA; Present: Bogota, Colombia
Personally I have be receiving 4 different mags. Peterson Photographic ( I pay for it), Outdoor Photographer (I pay for it), American Photo (free), and Popular Photography (free). I find that is my order of preference as well. The last two I received free for one year and I won't be continuing them.

Enjoy,
Scott

Photoshop users magazine. Come witht he membership in NAPP..

check out the websight. Also they offer may discounts on companies we use for our hobby.

Like I get free shipping from B&H..
Cheers

I'm surprised that people prefer Peterson's Photographic over PopPhoto. I found the former to have more ads and fluff than the latter. Yes PopPhoto is one of those magazines where the back third is almost entirely adds but that's why it's so cheap, they either have to make their income from subscriptions or ads. I'd rather have a cheap subscription rate and have to skip the ads at the back. The actual content in PopPhoto seems pretty good to me. I felt like with PhotoGraphic even the articles read like ads or press releases, and never had any depth to them at all.

Right now my list of subscriptions is:

Outdoor Photographer (definitely my favorite)
Shutterbug
Pop Photo
American Photo (a bit pretentious IMHO)
Rangefinder (freebie)

I use the discount websites that let you choose up to 5 or so subscriptions for one low price, ends up being a lot cheaper that way.

Frank, once in a while I by outdoor photograper, but most of the photography magazine, if you where to take out all the advertisement out, there would be almost nothing left. The article in those magazine tell everything about noting. When you see someting analyse it look like a company avertisement. So I look at them in magazine stand and if it interrest me, I by it.

Thanks Gilles, I agree with you and that is why I started this thread. I thought that I would ask if there was a really great publication that I was missing out on...so far, I don't think that I am missing anything.

Real Name
Chris
None. They're out of date too quickly. By the time a product is in print I've seen or read about it in DPR, the Cafe, Galbreath or Nikonians.

Rich

I did a seach of which magazines of the past I kept and there's only one "Darkroom & creative camera techniques". That is the only magazine at the time that had more article than publicity. I stop buying it when it was no more available in Canada.

D

Dan

I have so many photographic magazines, you can stack them up and reach the ceiling. Everyone is right about too many ads. On a positive note, I can always go through them and find hundreds of articles that were not read.
At present they are photographic, Popular, and Shutter/Bug.

Interesting points of view from all of you...and I am as disappointed with the content as many of you are...

And Chris
I generally like ads - especially if they have some creative photography in them, or for something I want or have. The ones I don't like are those store ads where all the prices are listed as "Call".

I truly believe that this type of marketing strategy was started by an unemployed car saleman!!! :roll:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post in my thread.

Z

Zulu-

I don't subscribe to any magazines but when I buy one it's usualy Practical Photography which is an English magazine. I'll like to subscribe to Photography Monthly (also an English magazine), but it's darn expensive to ship to Kuwait..

So mostly I go to there websites and read what I can get.. :?

In the UK we are lucky enough to have Amateur Photographer and I try not to miss it every Tuesday. It has a very broadbased readership including many traditionalists who consider digital imaging to be the work of the devil, often providing very amusing reads. The mag itself has moved on and provides very good coverage, reviews, readers portfolios etc. The website is at http://www.amateurphotographer.com/

Otherwise, quite often Practical Photography.

None at all. No books so far either, except the Short Courses guide book I bought years ago. I find there is enough resources on the web already for my photographic interests although I will probably buy a few books in the near future -- mainly for studio type stuff and legal stuff as those are harder to come by on the web.

Reading magazines won't replace spending time shooting outside anyway -- and I just don't have enough time to spare as it is. :D

_Man_

Latest threads

Top Bottom