Which Sandisk ?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bhodisatva, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Dilemma time again, having now ascertained that CF cards are the way to go, i now find myself wading through a plethora of options. I'd like to stick to a "recognised" make ie Sandisk but don't know which to go for out of their range.

They will be used in a D200 so given the choice (or the money) which would be best, extreme III, extreme IV or Ultra II?

Cheers -

2. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Roy, check out Rob Galbraith's memory card performance list here.

I use Extreme III and VI cards and with the Sandisk firewire reader it's a breeze to get them downloaded.

Cheers.

3. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Extreme III or IV cards can give you somewhat better speed than the Ultra II cards when uploading to your computer (if you have a reader that can handle the extra speed) but they won't give your D200 any performance boost will shooting.

A couple other points: If you decide to use a D2x at some point in the future you"ll need Extreme III cards to get the full fps rate from the camera and the Extreme cards are available in higher capacities than the Ultra II.

4. Thanks for the replies guys -
    I have a built in CF slot in the new 'poota :wink:

Can't see myself upgrading to the D2x just yet (or anytime in the near future for that matter) but thanks for the tip,, will come in useful if and when i do.

[Roy disappears to order a couple of Extreme III cards -]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  5. Extreme IV cards are quickest (from sandisk) but am sticking to ext III's for now as they seem to offer good performace / price / realibility balance :)

Sil

6. I'v had a different experience with Sandisk. I use both Extreme and Ultra cards in my D2x. I also use a Sandisk card reader. The strange part is that I believe my Ultra cards upload faster than the Extreme cards. I've never actually clocked the upload times, but it seems pretty obvious which one is faster.

Go figure...:confused:

7. Has anyone had any experience with the new 8GB cards? While they look attractive from the standpoint of not having to swap cards as often, I'm concerned about the speed with which images would transfer from the camera buffer to the card. From what little info I can glean, it seems that the Extreme III, IV and even the Ultra II cards have a faster transfer rate. I do a lot of sports photography, so I don't want a card that will limit my fps rate after the first few images. Thanks.

Mike
    -----------
    D40x 18-55, 18-200VR, 70-300VR

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I use Extreme III 16GB and 8GB cards and recommend either. They are very fast in D2X and D200. I shoot RAW and jpeg fine, so figure 14MB or so per click...

9. The speed is the same reguardless of the size....For sports you can't beat an extreem IV on the D2X/s, however when I use my D2Hs I often use an Ultra II 8gig and I can shoot forever with those small files.

Personally I use 4 gig card, with the exception of one 8 gig Ultra 2 I got for a steal. Usually I shoot sports in JPG mode anyway.

GenoP

10. That is not always the case - if you look at the Lexar's 8GB Ultimate 133x is much slower in camera than the 4GB at 133x. Certain larger Sandisk cards are also slower than their smaller counterparts.

Source: Rob Galbraith's SD/CF dbase.

11. If that's true, I am sure it's so slight I have never noticed.

GenoP

12. It is, most of the top cards varies about 10-15% anyways :wink: Reliability is paramount for me now than speed since with today's big big cards, losing one is just unimaginable.

13. WilliamIII

WilliamIII Guest

What is the max write speed of the D40X?

14. depends on your budget, and depends where you look. I use Ultra II and also have some Adata 266x and 120x CFs too. If you really need the speed then the Extremes are the choice for sure. But if you don;t then the Ultra II is a great price. 7dayshop might interest you or eBay (seller flashman852 is highly recommended, I've bought my CF and SD cards from him for over a year, must be about 15 cards from him, he sells real SanDisk cards, others sell fakes).

Q: are you shooting sports and using 5fps a lot? If not, I'd get several UltraII instead of Extreme. More cards and less need for a tank