1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

which sd card for nikon d90 ?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by califlefty, Oct 1, 2008.

1. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    Hi all - I'm waiting for my new D90 and realized it uses SD cards, of which I know nothing. Can someone please recommend a good quality card to purchase. If it matters, I won't be using "movie mode" in the d90, so that's not a consideration. Typically, I may shoot 100-200 images in an outing.Many thanks.

2. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    What kind of shooting do you do? Action? Landscape?

If you're a high fps shooter, than you probably need a fast 2GB or 4GB SD, like the Sandisk Extreme III or IV, which are more expensive.

If you're a more deliberate shooter, than you can probably get away with some of the slower 2GB, or even 1 GB, SD's like the Sandisk Ultra II, which are relatively inexpensive.

IMO SD cards are more fragile than CF cards, so I would highly recommend getting brand name cards like Sandisk or Lexar.

3. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    Hi thanks for the info. I'm a slow shooter and I shoot only RAW. So based on a fille size of 4288 x 2848 - how many images per 1G???

4. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    I highly recommend the Sandisk Extreme III SD 30mb/sec edition SD cards. I just picked one up for my D90. I also shoot exclusivly in RAW, and after a fresh format, the camera shows 268 images available.

The extra write speed is noticable with this camera. I did a test against my 4GB plain PNY card. I would get 9 shots before I bumped up against the buffer, and with the Sandisk I would get 11-12.

5. I recommend the Sandisk Extreme III or IV or Ultra II

Remember that it's not just the camera write speed - you need to get these files onto your computer

The faster cards will download faster to your computer

And as you shoot more, you will appreciate this more - especially if you start shooting RAW

6. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I bought a 8GB Sandisk III for 39.99 @bestbuy...

7. mvnsnd

mvnsnd

Jul 12, 2008
    Western NY
    One other thing to remember is that if you get a SDHC card, you will need a compatible SDHC card reader for the PC. I have a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III, and it cannot be read in standard SD readers.

8. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    but you can plug the Camera directly to the PC via USB..and it should work fine. Most SD card reader just need a firmware upgrade to read SDHC cards

9. srsuser

srsuser

Oct 4, 2008
    Georgia
    I'd go with Sandisk or Kingston.

10. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I would strongly suggest not plugging in any camera to a PC. Always use the card reader that way if something should ever go wrong with the PC only the card reader gets fried but your camera is safe. I learned this lesson the hard way about 5 years ago when I had to say goodbye to my Sony P&S which got fried because the PC I hooked it to had some kind of short and it fried the camera. Just MHO.

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. speedemn

speedemn Guest

I second the Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s edition SDHC card. Even in high speed continuous shooting I have never hit the buffer and I have gone 30 frames at full 12MP (JPG only) without it running the buffer all the way down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.