Which teleconverter?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by phydx2, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I've got an AF-D 80-200 f/2.8 and a recently acquired 55-200 AF-S VR. These are the two lenses that I'd most likely want to use a TC on until I can afford lenses with a longer reach (although, at the Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival in Chicago over the weekend it would have been nice to have been able to slap a 1.4x or 1.7x on my barely permitted 28-70 f/2.8 lens for more reach). So, I thought I'd read somewhere that AF-D and AF-S present different issues for different TCs. If I had to narrow it down to just one of the two lenses that I was going to use the TC on, it would be the AF-D lens (and the shorter Tokina and Tamron lenses that I own). Some guidance towards getting it right the first time would really be appreciated! :smile:

Thanks!
    Geoff

2. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
  3. Hi there.

I use a Nikkor AF-S 80-200/2.8 with a Nikon TC14e II, and the results are okay. At f/5.6 and beyond, there is no visible difference whether the TC is used or not.

Sadly, the current TCs are only suitable for AF-S lenses.

I tested a Kenko 300 DG 1.4 (not sure it is sold with this name in the US) before I bought the TC, but the Kenko was no good choice for my lens. But: it is able to work with AF- and AF-S-lenses, which no Nikon TC can.

Using any converter on the 55-200 is no good idea - you will be forced to use a max. f/8 to get any result, and the AF will not work properly, I believe.

Regards,

Mattes

4. For AF to work with your 80-200 you will have to go with the Kenko TC. The Nikon TC will AF only with AF-S lens.

Nikon specs also say that the Nikon TC 1.4EII is not compatible with your 28-70mm. I am not sure about the Kenko on the 28-70mm.

There is a chart floating around, maybe at Nikonians, that tells which one is compatible with what lens. Maybe someone can post a link to that.

Hope this helps.

5. Great help... thanks much guys!

The only reason I'd consider putting a TC on the 55-200 is at stadium events where there is a restriction on what you're allowed to bring in. The concert I was at this past weekend (Chicago - Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival) allowed for any "non-pro" lens under 3" in length but no tripods... nothing about monopods... well... dunno how they define "pro", and I'm sure the $6/hr checker at the gate doesn't know the difference, and the 55-200 is *close* to 3" in length, and with a TC in the pocket, the reach would be much better that the 70mm lens I ended up using. In bright sunlight, the max f/8 restriction isn't that big a deal.