Which to get - NEC PA series monitor or 4K monitor?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Why on earth would you want touch screen? It adds cost and is only relevant if you want to switch your laptop to tablet mode. I see little point in tablet mode unless you have a device that changes to a tablet - i.e. the keyboard comes off.

I suggest you ask the people who make Photo Mechanic whether they have made a version that works well with 4K.

The answer to your Photoshop 4K question is here:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1639095
CS6 will never support it. CC2014 has it as an experimental feature that works. Later versions have it supported.

Eventually all new/supported software will support 4K. You may have to wait a few years for some products to catch up.

Last edited:
Why on earth would you want touch screen? It adds cost and is only relevant if you want to switch your laptop to tablet mode. I see little point in tablet mode unless you have a device that changes to a tablet - i.e. the keyboard comes off
100% agree. I cannot see any advantages if using a standard PC or laptop. For precise work you may find that your finger may not do and a mouse, trackpad or graphics tablet will be much better for accuracy. You will also need to clean the screen often.

Of course you may have a specific app in mind that takes full advantage of touch screen therefore my prejudice against them will be irrelevant ;)

As to CS6 and 4K as already stated it will never be supported. There is a workaround of sorts! From what I understand it involves fooling CS6 into believing it is operating with less than 4K resolution therefore rescaling the application window area - in other words and IMO a total waste of time if cS6 your major imaging app

Thanks all. I missed a message from Richard, and I have caught up now.
Reply on support page from engineer at Photo Mechanic, not very clear.. " PM should support them just fine."

Beginning to think 4K is not worth the effort. To get PS in 4K I would have to pay for the CC ?
Touch screen issue. Never had one till I bought this little used Dell to get me through all this trauma, I was leaving on a trip when my unit died. It folds back to a tablet, told salesman that did not interest me, I was wrong, it is handy on a small unit.
My wrist are gone, I sleep in a wrist brace, I can see where a touch screen could be of some relief, and cut down on NON PP mouse work. Searching through images would be a lot easier.

To get 4K in PS, yes you would have to pay for PS CC. It isn't a huge amount - check it out.
Thanks Richard. The deal is done with 1080, maybe a nice 4K monitor later. Turned out there was no touch screen in 17" :( I really like sorting on this little dell, anything to help the wrist. I do thank all from keeping me from making a big or aggravating mistake. the 4 K was still within the Insurance payout, it was use it or loose. They had offered 1275, but when I came back with some data that it had been built to order, they relented and said send the the invoice and they would pay to insured $. I hope it all works out well. Guess a 5 year jump in technology will be nice.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks Richard. The deal is done with 1080, maybe a nice 4K monitor later. Turned out there was no touch screen in 17" :( I really like sorting on this little dell, anything to help the wrist. I do thank all from keeping me from making a big or aggravating mistake. the 4 K was still within the Insurance payout, it was use it or loose. They had offered 1275, but when I came back with some data that it had been built to order, they relented and said send the the invoice and they would pay to insured $. I hope it all works out well. Guess a 5 year jump in technology will be nice.
Have you consiered a medium sized Wacom tablet. You use it with a pen.....not a mouse. Much easier on the wrist....

Thanks karen, I bought a cheapie years ago, after fooling with this little Dell, I thnk you have made an excellent suggestion I will like.
Thanks, when cash allows I will have a look.

Well, I went and pulled the trigger and bought the NEC PA272W-BK-SV. It arrived today, and I plan to install it tomorrow, load the SpectraViewII software and calibrate it. At least that is the plan. Today I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 and have been spending the evening dealing with all the little gremlins that win 10 launches and enables that drive me crazy. Hopefully I'll have it all sorted out before diving into calibrating and test printing the new monitor.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My new computer will be here in 10 days, if you have some gremlin links for Win 10, please share :) It sure is full of adds.
Do you mean you see advertisements? The only thing I can think of is that you went into the app Store program. If you didn't then you are infected by malware.
There are things that move that you see on the start button. These are animated tiles for things like the news and weather, they aren't ads.
If you pin the programs you actually use to the taskbar, then you never normally need to click on the Start button, so you won't see anything remotely like an ad.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Well, I went and pulled the trigger and bought the NEC PA272W-BK-SV. It arrived today, and I plan to install it tomorrow, load the SpectraViewII software and calibrate it. At least that is the plan. Today I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 and have been spending the evening dealing with all the little gremlins that win 10 launches and enables that drive me crazy. Hopefully I'll have it all sorted out before diving into calibrating and test printing the new monitor.
Great choice!!!!! The Spectraview s/w is easy to use. BTW I set the intensity (brightness) to about 95 or 100. I don't like a real bright screen due to eye fatigue. Other settings for me: D65, Monitor-native gamma, gamut = full.

Excellent choice and the hardware calibration is something that you will never want to give up even when you upgrade to the next generation 42", Super Duper, 8k 110% ProPhoto gamut monitor :p.

Great choice!!!!! The Spectraview s/w is easy to use. BTW I set the intensity (brightness) to about 95 or 100. I don't like a real bright screen due to eye fatigue. Other settings for me: D65, Monitor-native gamma, gamut = full.
Thanks Karen. Knowing your settings is very helpful, as I'm just getting things set up now. I had my last monitor intensity set to 90, which allowed my screen to match my prints (or at least be close enough).

One question: do you have MultiProfiler loaded in addition to SpectrViewII? I just got Windows to load the drivers in place of the generic ones, and am not sure if I should load which one first? Of course, the documentation, faqs and website are of little help.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks Karen. Knowing your settings is very helpful, as I'm just getting things set up now. I had my last monitor intensity set to 90, which allowed my screen to match my prints (or at least be close enough).

One question: do you have MultiProfiler loaded in addition to SpectrViewII? I just got Windows to load the drivers in place of the generic ones, and am not sure if I should load which one first? Of course, the documentation, faqs and website are of little help.
I do not have Multiprofiler. If 90 matched your prints....start with that and run a test.

HOWEVER, after I upgraded to Windows 10, I sometimes have trouble with Windows 10 periodically changing the security settings for the folder which contains the color profiles. All of the sudden, Spectraview will say that a new color profile cannot be saved. Go to the Windows folder and make sure that you/admin (whatever your user setting is) has access to change files in that folder. Then re-run Spectraview. Frustrating...but not a show stopper. If you have problems, let me know. Windows 10 seems to insist on using its own color profiles......

I do not have Multiprofiler. If 90 matched your prints....start with that and run a test.

HOWEVER, after I upgraded to Windows 10, I sometimes have trouble with Windows 10 periodically changing the security settings for the folder which contains the color profiles. All of the sudden, Spectraview will say that a new color profile cannot be saved. Go to the Windows folder and make sure that you/admin (whatever your user setting is) has access to change files in that folder. Then re-run Spectraview. Frustrating...but not a show stopper. If you have problems, let me know. Windows 10 seems to insist on using its own color profiles......

I didn't load the Multiprofiler program. Just the drivers for the monitor and SpectraViewII. I let it use the default intensity of 140, figuring if it was too bright, I'd do it over with 90. Finished calibrating, ran a test print and bam! - It matched. The printed image looks about as close as a print can to the screen.

I'll keep an eye out for the folder issue, hopefully it will not pop up on my system. Time will tell.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator

Try running that program as Administrator, that will probably avoid the problem. You are running a program that is changing things in the operating system. The security system stops that.

FYI. Photo Mechanic has clarified their answer to my 4K monitor support question.
Reply from the senior design engineer.
" That result will be dependent on the physical size of the monitor and the DPI of the monitor. PM 5 is high-DPI aware. "

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom