Which to sell

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by danmab, Jul 24, 2007.

1. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    So, I've decided to pull the trigger on the Nikon 35mm f/2 today. Now the question is what shall I sell so the wifey doesn't get upset, my 50mm 1.8 or the 28-105D? I know the obvious choices are to either 1) keep both or 2) sell the 28-105.

I always felt like the 50 1.8 was too narrow for what I used it for, thus getting the 35, but dang it the IQ was just tooo good. So, I got the 28-105 to get the WA range. The zoom is very useful but is that enough to offset the IQ that I want (it has good IQ, but it's still not a prime :smile:)

What would you do?

2. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I'm probably going to let my 50/1.8 go before long also. :smile:

3. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I already sold my 50 1.8 recently. I just found that it wasn't wide enough for me to use indoors and I was always reaching for my 18-xx zoom and flash. Outside I would rather use one of my 2.8 zooms or my 180 2.8. The 50 FL on digital is just odd...sell it. :biggrin:

4. For what you'll get for the 50/1.8 you might as well keep it ... This said a person needs a zoom lens... The 35/2 will more than offset the loss of the 50/1.8, I say keep the 28-105 ... (going against what I preach but you'll need widder at one time and wish you had it)

5. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    It's about your shooting style. I prefer the 50mm (and 24mm) FOV on digital compared to the 35, so I'm planning on selling my 35. I find the 50 is great for fast toddler snap portraits, so it suits me. Your style may be completely different.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

don't sell any of it ...go out and buy your wife some purdy flowers, some hot undies and take her out on the town ....;-)).....u lose nothing and hey, the sex will be goooooooood!

WIN WIN

ROTFL
    :tongue:

7. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Believe me nuteshack, I would if I could -- I've been buying, selling and generally hiding my affliction for so long that I actually am starting to feel guilty about it!

@gene -- completely correct. I find my shooting style to be more towards the wide range when I use the 28-105. I actually think I might sell off both. Walking 2 steps forward brings the 35mm to where the 50mm would start -- and then I have the 85 1.8 for more tele shots --

8. I second keeping the 50. I picked mine up for $50, and use it a lot. The zoom can come in handy and can create some great memories if used correctly, so I would suggest keeping that also.

9. lamk

lamk Guest

Keep both. They are such good lens and you can only get pennies from selling them. Go get some nice available light portrait of your wife usiing the 50/f1.8 and she will be happy. My wife never complaint after she saw the pictures I took of my kids or the Canadian Rockies usiing whatever lens I lust and bought that day.

10. sunchung

sunchung

Jun 12, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Another way to look at is, if you wanted it back, which lens would be easier to obtain (new or used)? And what would be the loss, if any, of selling and buying later?

If you're like me, as soon as you sell it (regardless of which), you'll want it back... ;)

11. Take a great picture of your wife with the 50, and tell her if you sold it she would never look the same. If she says anything negative,tell her it's my fault.

12. lamk

lamk Guest

I'll second that.

13. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    i never use my 50/1.8, preferring my 35/2 for all purposes.

14. TVayos

TVayos Guest

Well if you don't sell and buy the 35, you will end up with two really cool paper weights. :)

15. I only see two real world solutions to your problem.

Buy a New 400 F2.8. You *Know* you'll need one down the road. After (IF) you recover from this purchase the smaller lenses won't be a problem for the wife.

Enter (at least tell her you entered) a photo contest and a couple of weeks later show her your new lens and tell her "Look at the new lens I won!"

I really hope you survive:biggrin:

16. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    HA HA! :biggrin:

17. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    HAHA -- that's awesome! -- that beats me telling her "...oh this lens? I've had that one all along! I've just never had a reason to use it yet."

18. I think you should skip the whole 35 idea for now, and save for a 20 2.8D. The 20 2.8D and 28-105 go very well together. You've already got the 50 and 85, so the only thing your really missing is a good wide angle. The 20 fit's your current kit very well.

Hold off until Nikon makes a new fast 30..........just a guess on my part.

GenoP

19. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    but the 20mm f/2.8 is not considered sharp for a prime, and f/2.8 is rather slow and you can't get really smooth bokeh out of it. i really don't think nikon will be introducing any new primes, and will probably discontinue a lot of primes now that most of their customers shoot zooms at high ISO.