Which Tripod ?

S

SPT

Guest
A good tripod is the best buy in photography !

I use a Uniloc 1700 series of the "bent-bolt" design (15 years old now), which is very versatile and allows ME to get comfortable and to then set the tripod to my position. I use it with a Manfrotto grip head, which is very quick and easy to use in the cold weather we get over here sometimes.

Other manufacturers to consider are Manfrotto (Bogen in USA) and Gitzo - but think carefully before buying a carbon-fibre tripod. These are the latest "must-have" accessory, but I think the £200 premium paid for a tripod that is only 1Kg lighter is money wasted. Not wasted if you're hiking, but wasted if you transport it in a car !

Other accessories ? - cable release, Polarising filter, ND Grad filters, spare batteries, spare cards are all useful and relatively cheap nowadays - and all will force you to get out with the camera and use it, so are good for you at this stage.
 
K

Ken-L

Guest
Bogen-Manfrotto 724B
Holds 7.7 lbs, is lightweight, comes with carrying case. Ball head.

Works well for me....

If my tripod were too heavy I would use it even less - if that's possible - than I do now!
 
R

Rob G.

Guest
velbon CF-640/Markins M10/RSS Lever Release clamp

Hi All,

Already post this on dpreview, but got no reply at all..

What do you think of this setup?
- Legs: Velbon Sherpa PRO CF-640 (= Velbon EL Carmagne 640 )
http://www.velbon-tripod.com/sherpa_pro01.htm
- Head: Markins M10 ( w/o Quick Release )
http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/ballheads/m10.html
- Quick release: RSS B2 LR II
http://reallyrightstuff.com/clamps/

Is there anyone who uses the Markins M10 with a RSS Lever Release Clamp?
The original release clamp from the Markins looks anoying.

What did the dutch people bought for tripods?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rob G.
 
Joined
May 4, 2005
Messages
285
Location
Ohio
Ken-L said:
Bogen-Manfrotto 724B
Holds 7.7 lbs, is lightweight, comes with carrying case. Ball head.

Works well for me....


Ditto here. Light - sturdy - comes in its own bag with sling strap.
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Re: velbon CF-640/Markins M10/RSS Lever Release clamp

Rob G. said:
Hi All,

Already post this on dpreview, but got no reply at all..

What do you think of this setup?
- Legs: Velbon Sherpa PRO CF-640 (= Velbon EL Carmagne 640 )
http://www.velbon-tripod.com/sherpa_pro01.htm
- Head: Markins M10 ( w/o Quick Release )
http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/products/ballheads/m10.html
- Quick release: RSS B2 LR II
http://reallyrightstuff.com/clamps/

Is there anyone who uses the Markins M10 with a RSS Lever Release Clamp?
The original release clamp from the Markins looks annoying.

What did the dutch people bought for tripods?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rob G.
Rob,

All looks like really good stuff. I didn't see any prices on the tripod. Before buying, I would definitely check out the equivalent models from Fiesel, Gitzo, and Bogen / Manfrotto, just to be sure that you are getting the best deal possible.

The Markins ballheads are excellent quality as are the RRS clamps. One thing you might want to consider, if you ever think that you will be getting big heavy lenses, is the Markins M20, or even the RRS ballhead. Costs more now, but less spent in the long run. ;-)

Hope this helps.
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Havoc,

You have some good recommendations here. Probably can't go wrong with any of these. If you haven't already, you might want to read Thom Hogan's treatise on buying the right tripod the first time. Most of us don't, and end up spending more money in the long run. Thom's recommendations are spot on.

PS - Please add your first name to your sig.... :wink:
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
182
Location
Vancouver, BC
Flew said:
If you haven't already, you might want to read Thom Hogan's treatise on buying the right tripod the first time. Most of us don't, and end up spending more money in the long run.
Hold the phone! You mean you aren't supposed to buy 3-5 tripods in quick succession??
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
linm said:
Flew said:
If you haven't already, you might want to read Thom Hogan's treatise on buying the right tripod the first time. Most of us don't, and end up spending more money in the long run.
Hold the phone! You mean you aren't supposed to buy 3-5 tripods in quick succession??
LOL Lin. To tell the truth, I did.... :lol:

Just trying to save others from making the same mistakes. 8)
 
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
6,668
Cheap is also OK

After reading so many articles and postings that the Gitzo 1228 and a 300 dollar ball head is what everyone needs, the reality for my amateur images is that a inexpensive bogan 3021pro with a 488RC2 head which goes for a little over $250 combined is enough to satisfy my needs.

Its a solid combination but a little bulky to walk around with in NYC.


Regards
 
B

Brew

Guest
I went with the Gitzo 1228 and the Acratech ball head. Works real good for me.
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
994
Location
Alabama
Brew said:
I went with the Gitzo 1228 and the Acratech ball head. Works real good for me.
That is an excellent combo Bruce. I have the Acratech also. It isn't designed for very heavy loads, but if you don't have that situation, it is very nice, and is also very light (around 1.5 lbs as I recall)
 
B

Brew

Guest
I like it so far.
Here are the features:

Features
Weighs less than 1 lb (.45kg) with quick release clamp.
Easily holds over 25 lbs (11.4kg) at any angle.
Full movements allow any camera position.
Precision C.N.C. machined.
Shown with left side controls (right side available).
Compatible with Kirk, Arca, R.R.S., and many other QR plates.
Beautiful satin black anodized finish.
Fits all standard tripods (1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threads).
Engraved degree markings.
Solid precision feel.
Made in U.S.A.
 
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
763
Location
Davis / Bay Area
Heh, Acratech and Gitzo 2220 over here.

I'd save the money and just go with the Markins clamp instead. Once the camera is on I leave it on. I tried out a bunch of tripods at the store (Bogen, Slik, Gitzo) and I ended up going with Gitzo for the feel and build quality. My advice would be to try and find the tripod locally first so you can at least try it out.
 
R

Rob G.

Guest
Thanks

Hi,

Maybe I'll go with the RSS BH-55 ballhead instead.
Read some great stuff about this ballhead.
and it's cheaper then the Markins M-10 and RSS clamp combo.

Anyway thanks for the input.
 
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
3,624
Location
Vienna, AUSTRIA
Gitzo 1340 MkII and Burzynski ballhead, with Novoflex Qbase-system;
Gitzo 1127 with small FM ballhead.

The first combo is definitely not a walk-around solution but rock steady.
The second combo turned out not very useful although extremely light. I will have to get a somewhat heavier but more stable solution for travel.
 

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom