Which version is preferred?

which way do you like this and why:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 7879

severely cropped shot, as the spoonbill was far away.

Definitely the cropped version. It's a neat shot!

The reflection does an excellent job leading the eye right up to the spoonbill. The cropped version has interest, and the reflection itself adds some character to the shot. I agree with Chris that the rocks don't add anything, and in fact to me distract a bit.

Well, they are both fine, but in this case I prefer the uncropped version. I like the moodiness of the scene better.

Frank

Flew said:
Well, they are both fine, but in this case I prefer the uncropped version. I like the moodiness of the scene better.

Frank
I'm w/Frank on this one. While I do like the crop, the first one has a much different feel. It has a much more isolated feel to it w/the full frame. The one guy out there all by himself. The tighter crop seems to be more about the reflection. I see it this way, you must have had a vision in mind when you shot it that way to begin with. Nice job.

I'll add another vote for the less cropped version. There's something about the mood or the scene that I like better in that one. Nice shot at long distance, Harris.

Have to concur with the last 4, uncropped version based on as Frank said, loose the moodiness and to Bryans comment, it looses some good detail.........dang you drive me nuts with all these unique birdies, envious!!

Gotta say I like both. I enjoy seeing thier surrounding and habitat as well as seeing the bird, or subject.

Re: which version is preferred

Popeye said:
Harris,
I prefer the cropped version"Crop for impact" have you tried a panaroma
crop? this seems to work best for me

POPEYE
Panorama crop? *** is that? Remember, talk slowly, clearly, I'm just an amature.

Im thinking that he means loose the total bottom 1/2 of the original picture. Now it looks panoramic.......he might have a point there?

That idea may also work. When you cropped originally you changed from a "landscape" orientation to a "portrait" orientation to capture the reflection. Try going back to a landscape orientation in the crop and not worry about getting all the reflection. I think that may be what was being suggested in the "pano" crop.

I guess by panorama crop POPEYE means crop out the bottom half of the first, and leave out most of the reflection.

I prefer the second for at least one of the reasons given above - reflection leads your eye to the subject. In the first version the rocks and reflection seem to be competing with each other to distract from the bird.

I guess all of these differing reactions is why they have chocolate and vanilla.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom