Which version is preferred?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Apr 28, 2005.

1. which way do you like this and why:

severely cropped shot, as the spoonbill was far away.

2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I like the first red x better. :)

3. Harry, hit the refresh thingy a few times, then it'll come up. Fkin Pbase!

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh the crop for sure, as the stuff you cropped out had nothing to do with the subject.

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    The cropped version Harris. I just find it a more interesting shot.

6. Definitely the cropped version. It's a neat shot!

The reflection does an excellent job leading the eye right up to the spoonbill. The cropped version has interest, and the reflection itself adds some character to the shot. I agree with Chris that the rocks don't add anything, and in fact to me distract a bit.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, they are both fine, but in this case I prefer the uncropped version. I like the moodiness of the scene better.

Frank

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm w/Frank on this one. While I do like the crop, the first one has a much different feel. It has a much more isolated feel to it w/the full frame. The one guy out there all by himself. The tighter crop seems to be more about the reflection. I see it this way, you must have had a vision in mind when you shot it that way to begin with. Nice job.

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    I'll add another vote for the less cropped version. There's something about the mood or the scene that I like better in that one. Nice shot at long distance, Harris.

10. Harris,

I would say the first....the cropped image looks like it has lost some detail. :D :D

11. Have to concur with the last 4, uncropped version based on as Frank said, loose the moodiness and to Bryans comment, it looses some good detail.........dang you drive me nuts with all these unique birdies, envious!!

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gotta say I like both. I enjoy seeing thier surrounding and habitat as well as seeing the bird, or subject.

13. which version is preferred

Harris,
    I prefer the cropped version"Crop for impact" have you tried a panaroma
    crop? this seems to work best for me

POPEYE

14. which version is preferred

Harris,
    I prefer the cropped version"Crop for impact" have you tried a panaroma
    crop? this seems to work best for me

POPEYE

15. Re: which version is preferred

Panorama crop? *** is that? Remember, talk slowly, clearly, I'm just an amature.

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    LOL Harris!

A pano crop looks just like the quote from Popeye in your post above?

17. Im thinking that he means loose the total bottom 1/2 of the original picture. Now it looks panoramic.......he might have a point there?

18. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    That idea may also work. When you cropped originally you changed from a "landscape" orientation to a "portrait" orientation to capture the reflection. Try going back to a landscape orientation in the crop and not worry about getting all the reflection. I think that may be what was being suggested in the "pano" crop.

19. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I guess by panorama crop POPEYE means crop out the bottom half of the first, and leave out most of the reflection.

I prefer the second for at least one of the reasons given above - reflection leads your eye to the subject. In the first version the rocks and reflection seem to be competing with each other to distract from the bird.

I guess all of these differing reactions is why they have chocolate and vanilla.

20. I like the crop version only suggestion I might make is to crop out the single rock left on the right hand side.