Which way looks best, vert or horiz?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by steveking, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Hey,

I would like to know what you all think about these couple of pictures. I shoot them vert & horiz every time so I'm wondering what pleases your eyes more that you'd rather see one orientation over the other.

Vertical Pitcher

Horizontal Pitcher

Vertical Batter

Horizontal Batter

and then there are these that always end up horizontal since I can capture them better this way...

Play at the Plate

The Tigers are back in town this weekend so I'll be back at it with them, so I'll show a few of the shots I get following the games.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  2. Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    All I see are red x's.
  3. Darn, I'll fix it. Probably has something to do with the not allowing right click and watermarking.
  4. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Steve, give this method a try:

Click on photo that you want to share on the Cafe

Click on "Share Photos" at top right (above photo gallery)

Screen comes up: "Flaunt Your Photos" with choices. Click on "Forums."

Forums screen displays various image sizes (Small, Medium, Large)

Click on whichever size you want to share, highlight and copy

Take this to the new message/reply message box on Nikon Cafe and click the "Insert Image" box (mountain with moon over it)

Paste the copied photo info into the Insert Image box, click "OK" and the image is ready to be shared on the Cafe!
  5. OK I fixed the links so a couple are showing in my browser window, but it looks like SmugMug is having issues retrieving several of my uploaded pictures now. That MUST be the issue since I changed a couple and they're working, but now I try to view them in SmugMug and it won't show. Oh well, here's the whole gallery any way

I give up for now.
  6. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow Steve, I took a good long look at your images and they are sweet. I assume that you have credentials to shoot in the pits.....or are you wealthy and buy up primo seats! You asked about camera orientation of a few of your images, are these the images that are in the gallery?
  7. Sweet shots Steve, colors are so nicely saturated...love the Timlin pic...
  8. Absolutely great Steve. You've added quite a few to your gallery since I last looked. Are these with the 400/2.8 you got after you sold the Sigma 120-300? How do you like the 400 compared to the Sigma?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  9. Big Pappi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE that shot!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
  10. Thanks for the comments, since I don't hear too much on these once they're submitted. Answers...

Yes I have credentials and work in the photo wells at Comerica Park, shooting for a media service. Doesn't pay much yet but who knows? If I could have gotten the guys from Boston to pick up that play at the plate where Inge was tagged out that would have been some $$$ right there.
    These were shot with the 400mm 2.8 that I picked up used 6 weeks ago. I had the Sigma 120-300 2.8 HSM and loved it, (the soccer shots on my sportsshooter page were taken with it) then when I was told I NEEDED to get better glass I did and never looked back. I highly recommend the Sigma 120-300, but for professional shots that **Hopefully** get printed in magazines, newspapers, or other circulations the 400mm is better.

Chris, thanks for pointing out the nice colors, that was one feature of the 400 that was a bit better than the Sigma, that and a slight improvement in sharpness too. Nikon glass truly rocks! The 400mm is significanly heavier though, so I'm wishing I had the AF-II, but my budget wouldn't allow it.

As far as the orientation preference, I was wondering which shots that I've posted here are ones that your eye prefers. The vertical vs horizontal pitcher and batter shots specifically. I posted the play at the plate and the infield shot as examples of where horizontal has to be used, on the others I'm not so sure yet.

Thanks for looking, and for Chris and Gretchen, sorry we took out the broom on you here in Detroit! There is one thing that the stands have over being in the wells, air flow! That game was about 90+ degrees with some sun, I was sweating into my shoes, literally. So when you see the guys in the dugout looking like they're hot, they really are.
  11. Oh, to answer your question, I would prefer the vertical orientation.

And, we won't even go into the sweep :wink:
  12. Thanks Chris, that's the one I like a lot too. Sorry to mention the sweep, well not really. :)
  13. I missed these yesterday. Man, you've got top shelf shots in your smugmug gallery. It sure would be fun to hang out in the camera wells and shoot.

Got out to a game the other day and saw your beloved Tigers. A split with our hometown 9 here in the NW :smile:
  14. Thanks Peter, that was a tight series in Seattle, and sorry that our fireballer JV hit Ichiro. Verlander said it himself in post game interviews, he was sorry to hit him, 96mph too, since they just met and he really likes Ichiro too.

Go Tigers!
  15. Took some time looking at your Gallery, Steve.. I really like how you cover the action....along with the "quiet" shots. I'll go with Chris here...I like the pitchers vertical as well...as well as all individual "quiet" shots. But I prefer the batters horizontal, and the fielding plays simply have to be that way.

As to the sweep, you know all you are doing out there is helping out the Yankees, don't you? Is that really what you want?:biggrin:
  16. Harry, thanks for the comments I appreciate it. BTW, we'll return the favor in August when the evil empire visits!

Go Tigers!