Which way do you store your camera?

• Lens down Body up - Grab the camera body to take it out

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Body Down Lens up - Grab the lens to take it out

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Stop being a goose, the bags are padded no harm will come of either way

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
So Im having a paranoid moment here in Sydney today.

WHen I place my D7K+24-70 combo in my Lowepro Nova 170 I place it lens down so when I grab it Im pulling on the body. Im not sure if this is the best way to do it as Im concerned about putting addtional stress on the glass at the front and the lens mount.

What do you guys think? For small camera bags whats the best way to store your camera body down, lens pointing up so when you grab it you grab by the lens or body up lens down?

Does April Fools Day come later in the southern hemisphere? You guys are joking, right?

I've been abusing Nikon cameras and lenses for 45 years. Never once have I had a lens snap off.

And what's all this about a padded bag? Just put extra lenses or flashes in a Crown Royal whiskey bag to keep them from clashing together and scratching each other. Then toss everything into whatever bag or sack is appropriate for the load.

Real Name
Chris
Does April Fools Day come later in the southern hemisphere? You guys are joking, right?

Thinking about it being in the Southern Hemisphere now, I am thinking it should be stored with the lens up!

Also, when you lock a lens into place in the southern hemi, which way do you rotate the lens?

:Wink:

Thinking about it being in the Southern Hemisphere now, I am thinking it should be stored with the lens up!

Also, when you lock a lens into place in the southern hemi, which way do you rotate the lens?

:Wink:

Same way the water flushes down the toilet.:biggrin:

You know those threads that in the back of your mind you knew it was silly to post at the time... This thread is one of those for me....:redface:

I've been abusing Nikon cameras and lenses for 45 years. Never once have I had a lens snap off.

I fully agree, plus I carry my camera horizontaly when in my F2 anyway. :biggrin:

In my old bag I use to do body down lens up until someone told me each time I pulled the camera out by the lens I was putting pressure on the connection ring.

Then I changed it to lens down body up. I found that it was easier to get the camera out. My thought process on that though is the lens is holding up the weight of the camera in the bag.

Now it doesn't matter for me since in my fstop backpack it lays flat like when you are using it.

In the end does it really matter. I don't know. But I've done all of them and have never had a problem.

Real Name
Mike
I store it in a drawer horizontally, with the rest of my gear. When it's out, it's on my shoulder or the truck console, ready to shoot.

Well I use the Camelbak packs which are not made for cameras so I just toss it in. Then it settles which ever way it wants to sit. Havent had a lens come off yet, lens caps yes, lens no.

my D3s/35-70D combo sits on the camera baseplate in my thinktank retro 30 bag....

i pull it out by the pentaprism or the strap.

I never put mine in a bag; it’s just way too dangerous the amount of stress bags put on a camera is too much, all that padding is just asking for trouble.
I only ever use my camera wearing surgical gloves and a mask in a controlled environment, if ever the slightest amount of oils from my skin touched the camera it would render it inoperable, secondly, I would also use a UV filter for protection and as an added protection layer I’d put a clear filter on top of the UV filter to protect it from the dangers of airborne particles ‘shot blasting’ it. When will camera makers realise Photographers sometimes have to take a camera into a more hostile environment other than a clean room? Come on NIKON!! Give us a camera that will continue to work once it’s been taken out of the box and not self destruct at the slightest sign of anything remotely resembling light use... :m72:

Latest threads

Top Bottom