Which would you choose

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bobalooie, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Bobalooie

Bobalooie Guest

For people and portrait work...

85 1.8...no can't afford the 1.4 lol

or

60 mm 2.8 macro

please and thank-you

2. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    85mm 1.8

3. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    Tamron 90

4. on a DX body? Tight portrait or head and shoulders or full length?

The 85/1.8 is a terrific lens, but it might be a tad long for portraits on a DX body. Remember that an 85mm lens on DX "acts like" a 130mm lens. On FX, it is ideal. Not bad for head shots (although you can begin to see some compression), but too long for full lengths.

For portraits, I tend to select either my 85 or my 50. I almost never use my 105 macro for portraits unless the subject is a child or young adult. The macro lenses are unforgivingly sharp......to my taste, macro lenses often yield unflattering portraits.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  5. If you don't have much room to place distance between camera and subject you're going to find 85mm on a crop body to be a bit long. It's beautiful for tight head shots and head and shoulder shots but you're not going to get much more than that in frame.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  6. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

For portraits only, the 85mm f/1.8. I like the shallow depth of field produced at these large apertures.

The 60mm has received praise for portraits, and would allow macro too.

Hopefully you can try them both before you buy.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

there ya go..and like $350 brand new -> DEAL!!!
    :cool: 

8. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I like that idea as well. Great lens for a great price. I also like the 60mm Nikkor.

9. Bobalooie

Bobalooie Guest

The Tamron 90 here is $460. plus tax...thats 14% tax = $524.40

10. Bobalooie

Bobalooie Guest

I have a chance to trade my 60 mm for the 85mm if I like. I'm not really into macro, but wondered what was the prefered lense for people/portrait shots....if given the choice between the 2. No money exchanged, just lenses that were purchased at the same time, and in mint condition. They sell for the exact same price here in Canada......$449. plus tax....but that irrelivant now. I picked up this 60 mm at the time because they were out of the 85 mm at the moment(which I wanted in the first place). And ya know, with a new D300 ya just gotta have "new" glass to play with RIGHT THEN...lol......Now the offer comes available.....any truth to the rumor about CA happening with the 85 and a Dx sensor?????? read it somewhere ???
    Thanks for your replies by the way

11. 85/1.8 for sure

85/1.8 for sure on a DX sensor

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.