Which Z6 lens combo for travelling? How about the Z 14-30 with the AF-S 18-300 VRii?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this place and want a Z6 for a year of bicycle touring. I'm starting with a clean slate, I don't own any lenses. Or a proper camera. Got to compromise on weight and space (and cash) so I'm thinking I'll limit myself to the two lenses in the title. What do you reckon? I hope to be shooting a bit of everything...people, landscapes, insects, the moon...whatever. I'm hoping that the price of the Z6/14-30/FTZ kit will settle down and I can buy around January. Maybe I'll squeeze in the TC-20 so I don't feel emasculated when someone waves their Coolpix 1000 at me...

Have you determined the maximum amount of weight for your camera system? I ask because that will be important when determining the lens(es) you take.

When do you depart on your trip? I ask because it's ideal for you to take the time to learn your new camera system before going on your trip.

Don't forget to buy a polarizer filter, as it will be extremely helpful when photographing outdoors and sometimes indoors.

It's hard to set a max weight...every extra half kilo is bad news, because I like to ride up mountains. But at least I have some very low gears. Lowish weight is one of the things which has drawn me to the Z6 and the 18-300...they each seem to do incredible things compared to much heavier kit which does a similar job. My tent and cooking gear are ultralight, which makes it easier to mentally justify a real camera. But I keep adding more and more electronics to my packing list.....phone, power meter, cycle computer, music player, speaker, dynamo, USB charger, power bank....

I would like to learn before I go, but I've promised myself I'll take a tablet PC so I can properly review my shots and read manuals. Departure date is hard to pin down, there are some big prerequisite tasks before I can leave the country.

I had already put the filter on my shopping list - I'm trying to pick threaded lenses. Nikon seems to be improving the choice in that respect

Real Name
Ian
While in England earlier this summer, I carried a 14-30/4, 24-60/4, and 70-300 AF-P on an FTZ. The three lenses gave me everything I needed in terms of reach.

If space and/or weight is a concern, you could go with one of the superzooms. It all depends on what your standards/expectations are in regards to image quality, and what you plan on doing with the images (printing, and if so how large? Web sharing only? Etc.)

In your situation, I would go with one lens. Determine the compromises that you're most willing to make whether they pertain to weight, size, image quality, cost and/or whatever. Then go with the lens that best meets your needs for this trip.

Also consider whether it's better to go with a lens that does or does not require the FTZ.

I believe the 18-300 is a DX lens. It will work on a Z6 but you'll be at reduced resolution. You are better off getting a D7500 if you want to go in that direction.

I even think the 14-30 is too special a lens unless you really enjoy wide angle. For most general photography, you can get away with hand-held panoramas - particularly for landscape - and especially considering that weight and size are a significant consideration. The 24-70 f4S and 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E AF-P VR (make sure you are looking at that model as Nikon makes 5 versions of this lens and it gets confusing) are a solid combination.

If you want to go with one lens as Mike suggests above, you might consider the 24-120 f4.

I don't believe the TC-20 will work with any of the lenses you mention. I suspect you are kidding but if you do consider going the TC route you need to be aware of compatibility.
http://nikon-cdn.com/Assets/Common-Assets/Images/Teleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

This fall iPad's new IOS is supposed to allow you to more easily transfer images from a card (or camera) to an attached drive which should simplify back-up while traveling.

I love the Z6. It's a fabulous camera. But it if you really need to reduce weight and bulk, there are other alternatives.

Real Name
Don Roy
What you 'need' is very subjective. I spent a week in the Caribbean with the Z6 and its kit 24-70/4. All the photos came out fine and it was low weight. I really liked not having to mess with lens decisions when the main reason for the trip was sand, sea, and sun.

What you 'need' is very subjective. I spent a week in the Caribbean with the Z6 and its kit 24-70/4. All the photos came out fine and it was low weight. I really liked not having to mess with lens decisions when the main reason for the trip was sand, sea, and sun.
Fully agree. I too have travelled extensively (Ireland, Arizona, Canadian Rockies, Hawaii) with the 24-70 f4. While I often take one or two other lenses with me (50 1.8, 70-300 as above), I find that 98% of my shots are with the 24-70. I traveled with an Olympus EM1-II with a 24-200 (equiv) and 95% of my keepers were in the 24-70 range so even when I had unrestricted access to longer FL, for my travels I just don't use them.

Well. So many completely different opinions! And all of them are sensible! At least none of you have said that I'm a complete idiot. So there's hope.

Since you're starting new and you said: BICYCE TOURING.

I'm thinking Micro Four Thirds might be your best solution.......
At the risk of being accused of Nikonic heresy, I agree.....the M4/3 platform offers the advantage of portability convenience.

At the risk of being accused of Nikonic heresy, I agree.....the M4/3 platform offers the advantage of portability convenience.
Lots of us have previously and do currently use other formats/manufacturers. I'd wholly agree with you before the advent of the Z6/7. M43 offers a remarkable array of quality compact, almost diminutive, primes (PL15 1.7, P25 1.4, PL42.5, O 75 1.8, O 300) which differentiate it from the Z line. M43 pro zooms (at least the ones I've used) seem equivalent to me in both quality and portability.

Agreed. What you give up is one to two stops of dynamic range. Considering the µ4/3 cameras from Olympus, the only one that approaches the dynamic range of the Z6 is the OM-D E-M1 Mark II, and it is the same size and about the same price as the Z6. And at base iso it still offers about one stop less DR.

But maybe that is 'good enough'.

I have the Olympus -D E-M1 Mark II along with the Zuiko 12-40 f/2.8 pro; 40-150 f/2.8 pro and the Zuiko 300 f/4 pro lenses. I would be hard put to make a choice between taking that combo ( minus the 300 mm for weight reduction ) or my Z6 with the 14- 30 and 24-70 f/4. I've had some satisfying images from both systems. Though right now the Z6 is a fairly constant companion - I love the view finder and to my mind it handles high iso better than the Oly.

OK, back to the drawing board. This Olympus is impressive and does an awful lot for a low weight. I need to add up the total weight inc. lenses. But I'm wondering if I'd do better compositions with the Z6 viewfinder. And I've got it into my head that I prefer Nikon's colours. And I have a lust for the Z6 because it seems a technological pinnacle - so maybe I'd use it more and learn more because of some sort of glow of ownership. Or something.

We went on a trip to the Oregon Coast last spring. I took all my gear in the car with us. I didn't use anything besides the Z6, 24-70 f4, and the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E AF-P VR . I think you would be very happy with that combination unless you really think you will need wider than 24mm.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom