Whirlpool at the Getzbach

Most people say or think Belgium is a bilingual country. In the Northern part they speak Dutch (Flemish to be precise) and in the Southern part they speak French. But in the East there's a very small part where they speak German. There's a very large nature reserve which is called the High Fens. It's known for its beauty, especially during autumn and winter. It's also a good place to photograph rivers, because you have 2 of them there, called the Helle and the Getzbach. The Helle is a wide river, for Belgian terms at least, and it's easy to access. The Getzbach is smaller, a bit wilder and not so easy to access. Personally the Getzbach is the most photogenic one.

Photographing in the High Fens was a couple of years listed on my todo list. Last week I took a day off to finally go there. Fortunate I could tag along with a Nikon ambassador, who lives in my area. He guided me around the area. We walked more than 20 kilometers in rubber boots. Not advisable, but since most of the picture are taken standing in the rivers, it's a must. Now that I got to know the High Fens, I'm sure I'm going to visit it more. It's a 2,5 - 3 hour drive, but it's the perfect getaway to spend a weekend or mid-week with the wife and kids.

I recently switched to mirrorless. The only native Z lens I have so far is the 24-70 F2.8. I learned very quick that 24mm was not enough there. Fortunate (again) I could use the photographer his Z 14-30 F4. I must say, I'm really impressed by that lens! It's so compact ... and I could use all my filters since it has the same diameter as my 24-70. Based on my gut feeling, the sharpness is on par with the 14-24 which I have sold a couple of months ago. The 14-30 is going on my wish list!

Anyways enough talk ... this is a shot of the Getzbach which I finished already.

Nikon Z7 - Nikkor Z 14-30 F4 S - ISO 160 - F16 - 2s - 21mm

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beautiful shot. There is just enough motion to keep the details.
That part of Belgium was on our list when my son and I were visiting a year ago, but we just ran out of time. We did spend time in the Ardennes and were as close as Malmedy, but Parc High Venn - Eifel will have to be on our next trip.

Wow this is a beautiful photo.
Thank you Phil!

Cool - that whirpool makes it different!
Thanks Allen!

Stunning image! And thanks for the information about the area!
You're welcome!

Beautiful shot. There is just enough motion to keep the details.
That part of Belgium was on our list when my son and I were visiting a year ago, but we just ran out of time. We did spend time in the Ardennes and were as close as Malmedy, but Parc High Venn - Eifel will have to be on our next trip.
Thanks Nick!
Let me know when you're in the neighborhood! :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom