Critique Whisk(s)

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mike Buckley, Sep 13, 2017.

1. I enjoy combining my photography and cooking hobbies by photographing food and cooking utensils in lighting and situations that we don't normally experience during everyday use.

C&C is always welcome, so much so that I would appreciate it if someone would please explain how I indicate that using the little yellow thingy that I see automatically displayed in some posts. Thanks in advance! EDIT: I found the "critique" thingy and realized that it's orange, not yellow.

Mike 2017-09-13--001-S.

Mike 2017-09-13--003-S.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Very nice Mike. I love to cook too, but seldom, if ever, mix cooking and photography for some reason.

3. First let me compliment you on keeping the background uncluttered which lets us concentrate on the subjects. I don't find the first one to be anything special but do like the second. Speaking of the first image, we do "read" photographs much like we read a book (left to right) so if you have a lead in line it is best to come in from the left (as you look at the photograph). I like the way you have arranged the whisks in the second image as you build height from left to right. It is a pleasing image.

4. Gordon, that's so obvious to me---after you said it!

5. Thanks for the comments, guys!

I never pay any attention to the theory that we view photos the way we read text. That's partly because some cultures read from left to right and some read from right to left. Also, if all of my photos have strong lines going in the same direction, reviewing a slide show or website of them would be less interesting to my taste than when those lines go in different directions, depending on the photo.

6. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    Really nicely done, Mike!
    My favourite is the second one.
    It feels more balanced.

7. I'm partial to #1 - I like the subtly of form and shadow. 2 of my 3 favorite hobbies - your shots "hard to beat...".

8. Good one, Ted. And thanks!

The other one is what?

9. music - bass and six string.

10. Good to know, Ted! I have a music degree, used to do a good amount of arranging, and I'm in the process of photographing a good friend's guitars.

11. I've always found guitars a difficult subject. The beauty of wood grain and the reflections from the finish aren't easy to balance. I like a 42 inch photoflex translucent panel for some of the shots I've taken.
    If you can, post the shots here, I love guitars and photography.

12. I'm not much for cooking, but invite me for dinner and I'll bring dessert! Baking is everything! I actually like both of these. I love the effect of the shadow in #1, and #2 has great comp and contrast.

13. Ted: My makeshift studio is so makeshift (small) that a 42" translucent panel would be WAY too large. I've decided that a guitar is the absolutely largest subject I can photograph in it when I'm including the entire instrument and even then I have to use a wide angle lens, which of course is not optimal. I'll post any new photos here at the Cafe, but in the mean time you can view photos I've already made here.

Dossy: You don't live far from my childhood stomping grounds of Miami, so I hope you fared reasonably well during Hurricane Irma. I do very little baking (because I'd eat too much of it), so you're welcome to bring dessert. Thanks for the nod about the photos!

14. Nice shots - love the reso-phonic, I visited their factory a few years ago - a very cool place. I don't think I've seen a cleaner set of guitars - each is perfect.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  15. I'm going to go with #1 - the shadows make it much more interesting than the second to me. Nicely done!