Whitby Abbey

From a recent holiday in North Yorkshire.

View from the moors above Whitby:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A couple from when we visited the Abbey, it was pouring with rain so I went Black and White to try to capture some atmosphere:

View attachment 389601

View attachment 389602

Any comments would be welcome.

Andy

Real Name
Luis Casals
Looks like a nice place. I like the photos, the limited comments I can provide is the amount of sky you have on the first one is a bit much for my taste. Top corners are also darker "vignetting". I learned that word at the Cafe.

"Any comments"? Okay, the horizons are off on all three images. All three images are out of focus. Looks like a beautiful place to photograph, though.
I too agree with Chris on the horizon.

Overall, I like the subject. The b&w conversions are good but could use a bit of a contrast curve adjustment to make it stand out more. I think the abbey is strong as the subject and if you live close to this area, you can shoot the abbey at different times of the year under different weather conditions and seasons.

There are a few elements that detract from the scene. Most prominent thing I noticed on each image is that they are out of focus. It's a shame because #2 is a stong image by itself in a composition aspect. If you were to fix the horizons and shots these in focus, they'd be even stronger. I hope this is a help.

God Bless,
David

Thanks for all of the comments.

In terms of horizons, I'll take more care when looking at shots in Capture NX in future.

I think my problem with focus is that I've been bitten by camera shake (non VR lens) so tend to shoot at high shutter speeds with too wide an aperture - hence shallow depth of field. I'll need to work at ensuring that I'm using the slowest "safe" shutter speed and close down the aperture a bit in future as I think the problem (certainly for the two black and whites) is that the depth of field is too shallow. The weather on the day we were at the abbey was too awful to allow me to use a tripod.

All three shots are straight out of the camera - I deliberately shot the two closer shots at ISO 1600 in Black and White because I wanted to get a grainy look to match the awful weather that we were having that day (we had to run inside for shelter shortly after taking these) - I'm pretty pleased with how these came out but I'm sure that they could be improved in post processing.

Again, thanks for the comments - I've found them very helpful.

Andy

Oh, then you use NX, huh. Same here. So, as you know it's quite easy to check/correct horizons and verticals in that program.

I gave up my only VR lens to buy one I "just couldn't live without" and truly miss the VR function. My "keeper" rate without VR or a tripod is about 30%, I'd imagine,:frown: so I've gone back to being a tripod photographer. When I'm in a rush, I just drop one leg of the tripod and use it as a mono-pod...............though it's almost as quick to lower all three legs and get a sturdy platform.

The grainy look of the B&W images was fitting for the day, as you mentioned, but the use of a tripod would have made them look as if you meant for them to be that way.

Thanks for all of the comments.

In terms of horizons, I'll take more care when looking at shots in Capture NX in future.

I think my problem with focus is that I've been bitten by camera shake (non VR lens) so tend to shoot at high shutter speeds with too wide an aperture - hence shallow depth of field. I'll need to work at ensuring that I'm using the slowest "safe" shutter speed and close down the aperture a bit in future as I think the problem (certainly for the two black and whites) is that the depth of field is too shallow. The weather on the day we were at the abbey was too awful to allow me to use a tripod.

All three shots are straight out of the camera - I deliberately shot the two closer shots at ISO 1600 in Black and White because I wanted to get a grainy look to match the awful weather that we were having that day (we had to run inside for shelter shortly after taking these) - I'm pretty pleased with how these came out but I'm sure that they could be improved in post processing.

Again, thanks for the comments - I've found them very helpful.

Andy

Hi Chris,

Yes, I'm well aware of the straighten tool - I just need to be more disciplined in ensuring that I check images with it (I wish there was a little icon for looking ashamed, which I could insert here).

I'm still really perplexed about what happened to the focus in the two closer shots, there was plenty to focus on and the data says that the central focus point was used. However, when reviewing the images in Capture NX I can't find any part of the image that I would call sharp. I agree that the use of a tripod would have allowed me to close down the aperture and this wouldn't have been an issue so I'll just park that for now and work harder to keep my aperture as small as possible in future.

On a separate note, do you only use Capture NX or do you use it along with one or more other programs? Personally, I try to keep PP down to a minimum (I work with computers all day, so try to avoid using them too much for my hobby) and try to stick to Capture NX and basic adjustments.

Again, thanks for your feedback - there is nothing worse than getting no feedback at all for your pictures and this session has given me a lot of food for thought.

Andy

Hi Chris,

Yes, I'm well aware of the straighten tool - I just need to be more disciplined in ensuring that I check images with it (I wish there was a little icon for looking ashamed, which I could insert here).

I'm still really perplexed about what happened to the focus in the two closer shots, there was plenty to focus on and the data says that the central focus point was used. However, when reviewing the images in Capture NX I can't find any part of the image that I would call sharp. I agree that the use of a tripod would have allowed me to close down the aperture and this wouldn't have been an issue so I'll just park that for now and work harder to keep my aperture as small as possible in future.

On a separate note, do you only use Capture NX or do you use it along with one or more other programs? Personally, I try to keep PP down to a minimum (I work with computers all day, so try to avoid using them too much for my hobby) and try to stick to Capture NX and basic adjustments.

Again, thanks for your feedback - there is nothing worse than getting no feedback at all for your pictures and this session has given me a lot of food for thought.

Andy

Andy,

The only program I have is NX...........haven't even sprung for NX2 yet. (Spent all my money on a fancy lens) I don't like all the post processing, but very few images come out of the camera not requiring work. If you were stopped down to at least 5.6, that 50mm 1.8 should have given you a superb shot. It's really a "must have" lens. I don't use mine as much as I should.

I mainly use my 50/1.4 (it's the old style AF, not AFD) wide open for pictures of my daughters indoors - if you get the focus just right the effect is amazing (or at least I think so).

I should try to use it whilst out and about more often too - I might try carrying it in place of my 18-135 for a while.

I'm still on NX as well - I messed around with Elements and the GIMP for a while but found it really difficult to get the colour right when initially importing. I use very few of its features but will definitely have a more defined workflow from now on (1. Check focus; 2. Check horizontals and verticals). I try to use in-camera settings to avoid post-process but I'm sure that there are some things that I could do with learning more about (sharpening, curves etc.) even if I only use them occasionally.

Following your earlier posts, I have to ask which lens it was that you had to buy?

Andy

First to address your workflow: If you want to learn, in depth, how to us NX, buy Jason Odell's CD The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX. NX is able to do a whole lot more than I understand. But what little I can do with it is because of his thorough and easy to follow instructions.

The lens in question? Well, admittedly, I didn't have to buy it...........just thought I couldn't live without it! :biggrin: It was the 24-70mm f2.8. Superb lens.............though outlandishly expensive. (so much for buying food for a while!) :biggrin:

I've seen links to Jason Odell's book, I'll try to order and download a copy next time that funds allow.

I guess you're shooting full frame if you've gone to 24-70?

I miss constant aperture zoom lenses (had the 65-200 f4 for my Olympus OM cameras) and would one day like to get something in the 16-xx range (I loved the wide angle view from my 24-85 on my F80 film camera so would definitely like to go wider than 18 next time).

Andy

Believe me, Jason's book is worth saving the money to buy.

No, I'm not shooting full-frame. I use a D200. But if/when I do go full-frame, I've already got the lens. I'll keep buying full-frame lenses for that reason.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom