1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

White balance issues on D3s

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by comma, Apr 12, 2018.

1. comma

comma

Jul 21, 2014
    Hi Guys.
    Quick question,

I just started using the D3s.

I'm moving from Fuji (XT-1)

I always shoot with Auto White balance on.

It seems like (at least when shooting indoors) that the white balance is significantly off when set to Auto. Most of the time, it seems a lot colder (bluer) than the light in the room.

Is there anything I could be missing? I never had this issue when shooting with auto white balance with Fuji.

Thanks!

2. comma

comma

Jul 21, 2014
    I won't have time to read all of that right away, but does that mean that auto white balance isn't good to use on the D3s?

I just assumed on such a pro body that I wouldn't have to worry about white balance issues like this

3. It's only a paragraph. Indoor lighting is so variable that auto WB doesn't deal well with it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  4. The only times I have had a problem with the white balance on my D3S was shooting basketball indoors and the lights would cycle as they call it creating varied white balances.
    Since you recently purchased the D3S I would suggest doing a complete reset of the settings. It takes 2 buttons pressed simultaneously. I do not remember which ones right now. You should be able to find out by searching the Café or the internet. Once you do a reset you will probably need to change some or most of you settings to suit your taste.
    Might also help to post a couple of sample shots for others here to review.

• Like Like x 1
  5. comma

comma

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks! I will try that. And I will try to get some sample shots too

6. Many Nikon cameras offer the option of fine tuning white balance (a global change). I'm not sure when it first appeared but check to see if you have this option and then set it back to neutral.

7. Good call Nick.
    It should show in the top LCD if a WB preset is being used.
    I used to do that using my Expodisk.

8. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    You're right.
    Had my first studio shooting last Saturday.
    D3S on Auto WB delivered a color temperature of 5200K.
    When I set the WB to 6250K the color was perfect.

Still working on this too

Regards
    Klaus

9. comma

comma

Jul 21, 2014
    Let me know if you figure anything out!
    Very frustrating. Have never had this problem (I've shot with several other Nikon bodies too)

10. Nick,
    I think I misunderstood what you were referring to.
    After reading your reply I went in to my menu on my D3S.
    Clicked on white balance. It was set to auto.
    When I right clicked on auto it took me to a square labeled with GAMB quadrants.
    To the right of the square it says A-B and G-M.
    As you move to a different quadrant I presume it is adjusting the white balance setting in auto mode.
    I never needed to use this so I did not know it even existed.
    Comma, you may want to check yours and see where your adjustment is currently at.
    I have never changed mine, so A-B is 0 and G-M is 0 as well.
    If yours says anything different it has been manually fine tuned and may not be right to your liking.

11. You have that right :)  I've never used it, but it is one more thing to go "wrong" .

12. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I used a D3s and never notice a color balance problem when shooting outdoor subjects using Auto WB. Are you shooting raw? Then you can adjust the WB at will. What processing software are you using? Did you create a custom Camera color preset?

13. Set your WB to "K" mode. Take a few test shots, adjusting the temperature until what you see on the LCD matches what you see with your eyes. Shoot in raw so you can adjust later.

14. comma

comma

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I will be sure to try all of this out and hopefully get to the bottom of this.
    I shoot raw but usually do very minimal post processing. I'd prefer the camera to make the WB choices instead of manually editing every single photo.

Honestly, I bought a D3s thinking things like this would be better than other bodies I've had not worse :unsure: 

15. THe D3s was introduced 8 years ago. Your X-T1 is 4 years newer technology from a different company using different technology so I don't know why you would expect the D3s to have better WB. A few minutes on-line finds information on the less than perfect artificial light WB performance of the D3s and good performance of the X-T1 For the best in-camera white balance, set a custom WB at each new venue. It takes less than a minute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I agree completely. (y)

17. comma

comma

Jul 21, 2014
    Stupid followup question, but how do I tell if my WB is "normal"? Should I just compare with how my eyes naturally see something?

I did just check the GAMB settings and they are at 0 in my auto WB settings

18. comma

comma

Jul 21, 2014
    Sorry, I guess I just took WB for granted. I just though auto WB was a standard thing. I honestly never looked at the specific WB stats for each camera (which is my fault)

I shot with a D80 for many years (several years older than the D3s) and never had any issues with this. Assumed the D3s should be at least as good as the D80 with WB

Is the GAMB settings the best way to manually adjust WB?

19. DPreview's comment on tehD80 WB performance:
    "Disappointing automatic white balance performance in incandescent light" Perhaps you didn't notice - that was a long time ago :) .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.