White balance issues

This post originated from a comparison I did between my Z6 and Z50 and posted in the "Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum". I was surprised to find a significant difference in colors between the two cameras even when set to the same Kelvin color temperature. One responder suggested using the Pro Contrast "Correct color cast" slider in the Nik Color Efex Pro 4 plugin to adjust them both to the same color balance. I did that and it did bring images from the two cameras closer together. However, I didn't think the result yielded accurate color.

Today I shot the same scene with both cameras with a gray card for correcting white balance. Here are the results.

The first two are corrected with Nik Color Efex Pro:

_JZ64572_Nik_GC.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_Z503204_Nik.jpg

In the next two, I used the WB dropper in DxO PL on the gray card to set WB:

_JZ64572_GC.jpg
_Z503204_GC.jpg

Finally, I present Subaru's color selection chart from their web page. The car in my photos is "Tungsten Metallic::

Subaru_Colors.png

To my eye, the gray card results are more consistent and definitely more accurate.

What do you think?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I agree the eye dropper color card pictures are more accurate and alike. That is what I would expect.

How did you correct color in the first Nik Color Efex Pro? Does it have an eye dropper you can use? If so I would try that and see if it produces equal similarities between the images.

How did you correct color in the first Nik Color Efex Pro? Does it have an eye dropper you can use?

All I did was slide the "Correct Color Cast" to 100%. I don't know if there is a dropper. I'll check but I'm not very interested as I'm quite satisfied with the DxO result using the gray card.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
This is why I carry a whibal card to help set WB in post. Interesting thread Jim, useful to show folks. Thanks for sharing your findings on these bodies.

Jim, I used Nik's Color Effex Pro "remove Color Cast" Green filter:
_JZ64572_Nik_GC_Nik.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
All I did was slide the "Correct Color Cast" to 100%. I don't know if there is a dropper. I'll check but I'm not very interested as I'm quite satisfied with the DxO result using the gray card.
By moving the slider 100% you can actually cause an opposite color cast. I usually have to move it only 25-35%....

In post #1, I find the DxO corrections more accurate. To judge , look at the color of the car under the license plate.....that way you avoid brighter light affecting color of the car.

I just get a pretty model to follow me around and hold the WB cards.

_DSC5335.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So how do you know where to stop?

I agree.
You eye ball it! LOL! Just like you like to do when adjusting color temps when shooting! :p

Of course, in my case I start out with very accurate colors due to my customer camera color profile, so I don't need much of an adjustment if at all. BUT if there is a yellow color cast, moving the slider 100% could cause a light blue color cast..... because you in effect have taken out ALL the yellow.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Yes, but when you're sitting at the computer you're not seeing the original scene like you are when taking the photo. You're just guessing based on your memory.
Which is the reason I use a custom color profile.................. No guessing before, during or after capture.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
In this example it would. In almost all your nature photography it would. In most of your travel photography it would. And if you often shoot in different lighting situations, it only takes about few minutes to create a profile that each light situation (i.e. incandescent, tungstren, etc.)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom