White Church of Our Lady of Mércoles, Castelo Branco, Portugal - Simple and beautiful

The Chapel of Our Lady of Mércoles is located on the outskirts of the city of Castelo Branco. Supposedly it was built by the monks of Order of Templários. Some inestigators claim that its foundations belong to a temple of the Roman period. The portal of entry and two side doors are warheads. The floor plan is in the chapel below the ground, and therefore need to be five steps down, there are traces of frescoes inside. It consists of a single nave and a chapel absidal. Its foundations were reinforced upon the XVII century.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rui

D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon:smile: glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Nice image. A great piece of history !
Thanks, Robert.

Lovely, Rui - is there any part of Portugal you haven't been to???
I´m still doing a search for places I do not know so well. You see, along the life, I´ve been to several places that I now visit again but with a different "eye". That´s an advantage of our love for photography!:smile:

Rui
D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon :smile:glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Great image and I enjoy reading the history of the church. You did very well capturing the white church without it looking blown out. I've tried photographing a couple of white missions in the Southwest and haven't been happy with any yet.
Janet

Love the image Rui...the stark white against the sky is amazing.
Thanks for sharing.
Barb
Thanks, Barb.

Great image and I enjoy reading the history of the church. You did very well capturing the white church without it looking blown out. I've tried photographing a couple of white missions in the Southwest and haven't been happy with any yet.
Janet
Many thanks for the kind comments. The way I found to get balanced lightning on my images was to start shooting RAW and choosing "M" exposure. That helped a lot getting the results I was searching for.
Rui

Rui

D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon:smile: glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom