White Frangipani's

Prefer the full-frame, the crop or neither?

Full Frame -

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikkormat FTn w/ Nikkor 180mm f2.8 ED - ERA100 w/ LC29 1:29

Crop -

Are film shooters allowed out of the Film Forum?:wink:

Thanks,

It is unanimous, the full frame is the clearly the better composition. Thanks to everyone for their time and comments.

And, yes, the full frame was my pick, but just wanted to hear other's preferences.

Thanks,

Call me crazy but I prefer the crop. The full-frame image has the center of interest dead center which makes for a static composition. Maybe you could start with the full image and crop just enough from the bottom and right to get the flowers away from the center of the frame without cropping as heavily as in the second image, that might be even better.

Only if you hint at where to find your shots :smile: I always enjoy them, so don't wish to miss any (you are in my top 4 favs in the film forum)
Paul,

Thanks for the compliments. I am flattered and humbled to be on your favorites list. This is my first foray out of the Film Forum, not sure why I ventured out, maybe to get a broader audience.:redface:

I am going back to the darkside now!

Call me crazy but I prefer the crop. The full-frame image has the center of interest dead center which makes for a static composition. Maybe you could start with the full image and crop just enough from the bottom and right to get the flowers away from the center of the frame without cropping as heavily as in the second image, that might be even better.
Jeff,

Thanks for your critique, you are right, I did the old 'put the subject in the center' thing again. I hate when I do that, since I really dislike cropping. I pride myself in being able to crop in the viewfinder.

Here is crop based on your advice -

Is that better, worse or just different?

Thanks for your time,

Here is a square crop. Suggested by another critic.

I rather like it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom