1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

White Pelicans

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Phyer Phyter, Aug 8, 2008.

1. So I am having lunch with a friend today by a local small lake and I thought through the weeds and cattails I spotted a White Swan. NOPE they're White Pelicans. Did a google search about them and there are a few white species including the Alberta White Pelican which is on the endangered species list. There are a couple others too but I cant discern which specific species they are. I've seen lots of pelicans in Florida but I've never seen any in Alberta before.

2744830487_5c9dea172e_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. nice shot, bill
    thanks for sharing

3. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    talk about rule of thirds!! great shot

4. gillesk

gillesk

Dec 31, 2007
    Alberta -Canada
    Hi Bill,
    Great capture.
    We have a lot of Pelicans in Calgary. They are listed as the American White Pelican. They spend part of the summer on the Bow river. The colony that fishes downtown counts about 40 birds. There are other spots along the river where they can be seen southeast of town.

Here is a shot I took yesterday:

original.gif

If you are interested in seing more, please visit my Pelican gallery st:
    http://www.pbase.com/gkorent/gallery/american_white_pelicans

Best regards from another Albertans.
    Gilles

5. I've lived in the Edmonton area for 40 yrs and dont recall ever seeing Pelicans here. Nere any coast sure but in Alberta? Maybe alzheimers is getting me too...:redface:

6. After coming back to this picture and saw Lisa's comment about rule of thirds I thought I would try and straiten it and see what I get.

I dunno which do ya like better, this one or the first one?

2745892008_2453f44460_o.png

7. Great shots of one of my favorite birds. Nicely done.

8. Thanks Warren, I appreciate it. Which one do you like more?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.