White-rumped Sandpiper

Discussion in 'Birds' started by woundedmallard, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Hey Everybirdy,

Have a touch of insomnia so I'm keeping myself occupied! One species I was hoping to photograph on this migration was White-rumped Sandpipers. They are pretty reliably seen but can sometimes be pretty skittish depending on the crowd they associate with at the time. Seems to also be a bit of a "late" migratory crowd of White-rumps passing through this week both at Viera and Merritt Island NWR. Took these at Merritt Island. It was 2:30-3 p.m. and the sun was still sitting high so I knew I had to get in close and low if I wanted it to be a somewhat worthwhile shoot, so I put on my junk sneakers and got wet!! I guess the sandpipers appreciated my efforts and accommodated me accordingly. Spent more time actually watching them than shooting them and went home happy with both experiences.
    Didn't get any "white-rump" shots though, as they were intensely feeding and almost oblivious to me being there that they hardly even fluttered. So you'll have to take my word for it that they do have white-rumps! lol :biggrin:

original.

View attachment 99515

View attachment 99516

2. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Nice captures, Thomas. These are lovely birds! It looks like our Green Shank (which have green legs) here, or the Red Shank (which has red legs) - and our sand pipers are brown! Anyways they are so difficult to tell one from the other!

3. Thanks William, I appreciate you looking.