1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

White-throated Kingfisher

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Phil K, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Like many of you, Kingfishers are my nemesis. Today was a good day in terms of spotting, as we saw several White-throated KF. But in terms of photography, it's still not very satisfactory as I couldn't get a good capture. They either landed at the wrong spots, facing the wrong direction, under the wrong light, or I messed up with the focus, shutter speed or exposure. :mad: 

Still want to share with you this beautiful bird. All handheld 200VR + TC20. All cropped.

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

2. Be happy to get shots this close. :smile:

Like you mention, many of us would be very happy with those shots.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great to get those shots Phil.
    Nice job.
    He is much prettier than ours

But I take it still a devil bird:>)))))

4. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Wow Phil that is a very colorful bird. Nice Job.

5. OUTSTANDING!!!!

Those are great Phil, I know how difficult they can be and you have my respect!!

6. Any shot of a kingfisher is a good shot. These birds always seem so heavily weighted in the area of their beak as to make them seem off balanced. Congratulations on getting these shots Phil, keep it up and you will freeze one yet.

7. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Phil,

I really like #2. The eye appears to be sharp enough and the slightly blurred wings add some good tension to the image. Your dream shot will happen one day!

8. Thank you Allan. They are really elusive. These shots are all heavy crops.

Thank you Gale. We have several colorful KF here, and all are devils. :biggrin:

Thank you Jimmy. They are really beautiful, especially in flight.

9. Thank you Gary. They always landed on the trees that were just too far away.

Thank you Gordon. I am working very hard and hope to get one that is close and clear enough.

Thank you Andy. That one was shot from the sun roof of the car and it took off while I was still trying to balance myself.

10. Well done Phil but they sure look a lot different from the ones we have.
    Lou

11. Thank you Lou. I notice that there are several very colorful KF here that are not found in US. They are all very elusive.

12. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Nice shots! It seems the 200VR works quite well with the TC too.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I agree with the other posters Phil. Any K-F shot is worth getting. I really like #2 and #3. Well done.

14. Hey Bro. Thanks for finding the place.

Thank you Frank. I was thrilled spotting them and capturing was a bonus. I will try to get better shots next time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.