Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, May 20, 2007.

1. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    James White, professor of chemistry:

2. still has all five finger. sharp. desk clutter is pleasant. oh..and the big chunk of bright white up front is tops.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  3. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks Rodney! Yeah, I used the SB50DX in the hot shoe.
  4. oh..geez lewinksy:biggrin:so that's natural light with aid?
  5. Cool Framing
  6. Yep, a fun frame.
  7. I think it's superb!

The composition is perfect: All thge elements are included and well balanced. The molecule, the desk, the hand saying "no" which is sharp and the guy saying "no" with a smile and the perfect timing! His closed eyes!

HP5, how do you like it?

Great shot, Chris! Really!
  8. cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    I agree with the above comments and would add that the tilted framing adds to the effect greatly.

9. Enjoyable pic! His desk is quite reminiscent of my own! :biggrin:
  10. Looks like the typical academic's desk, from what I remember of doing computer support for them here in the UK :) Great shot.
  11. Chris,

The effect of showing the whole frame and flipping it horizontally makes for an superb observation of "the proverbial academic" at work. Out of curiousity I flipped the image and it immediately lost some of it's attraction, so you made the right choice!
  12. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks y'all! I really appreciated all your comments on this!

Sunlight through the windows, fluorescent lighting and flash. Good thing Holgas have auto white balance, eh? :Wink:

I just put the film on the platen and scanned it all the way out to the edge.

The HP5+ was really well behaved! I now think my earlier feelings about that film were due to my errors in developing. This came out nicely contrasty, but didn't lose the textures. I would use it again based on my experience this time.

When I put 35mm film in a Holga, I can eiuther hold the cassette in place with spacers, or let it flop. When it's free to move up and down in the camera, the angle the film is at is unpredictable.

With Jim, I think it's personal. He uses his clutter as a barrier!

I noticed that too. It is interesting that we would see a left-right reversed image differently than the original. But for some reason, we prefer one chirality over another. Is there more to it than just getting used to one orientation?
  13. I'm no expert, but when I flipped it back to "normal" it lost a lot of it's appeal. For me the reason is, I think, two-fold. I am right handed. I would hold out my right hand to say stop. The fact that the wedding band is there doesn't matter to me. Also, since I read left to right, the clutter draws me to the subject. (assuming he is the subject and not the clutter) When it is reversed (normal), my eyes just don't flow well.

I just wish that I could express myself better. Hopefully you guys all know what I am trying to say.
  14. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Clear as a bell Greg.

Thanks for an explanation of an interesting phenomenon.