Who actually uses their #2 camera.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vernon t, Jun 13, 2005.

1. I bought a CP4500. Kept CP950 as backup. Gathered dust.
    Bought the D100. Kept the CP4500. Didn't use it.
    D2H I loved. D100 was perfect lightweight backup. Unused.
    D2X is great. D2H is dead weight. I'm sure I'll use it...yeah right.

How many of you actually use your derelict camera? I'm not talking about keeping it "in case". I'm a master of that strategy.

Do you use #2?

BTW...the CP950 is sitting 6 feet from me "in case I need it".
    Another BTW...my lovely wife uses the CP4500 all the time, hating the heft of DSLR's. A D70 would be too heavy. Different strokes. Good thing is she'd never consider toting my D2X around. OK with me. 8)

2. I know very well what you're talking about and so I knew exactly what I was doing when I bought TWO D2H Cameras :wink:

2 same cameras is the best way to go.... But affording Two D2Xs is a different story.

Basically, having back-up cameras is mainly good for working pros (working VS. Talented), otherwise it can represent a wa$te (even if both are the same). Weddings is the first example that comes to my mind.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ya mean if you are a talented pro, you don't need no stinkin' backup. Like talented pros can go to a convienence market, get a disposible and do great work.

Vernon, I do use my Coolpix 950, Mamiya 645, Olympus OM1 and Crown Graphic occasionally. I also have a (used once and never again) N80 as a backup for working assignments, cause I'm not that talented.

(The N80 performs a service though. It's the rear lens cap on my 400mm f/5.6 lens.)

4. I use both...one camera has the short lens and the other camera has the long lens for close-ups and headshots. When hosing down several hundred frames, having two cameras is a must. Though I hate the weight!

5. I keep most of the cameras I buy. Somtimes I hand them down to younger siblings, neices, etc.

I still use my D70 along with the D2X. It is a lot lighter.

I also regularly use a Fuji F10 and an Olympus C60. I am getting a Sony P200 soon as well.

My Oly C2100, great camera that it was, does sit in a drawer. But that camera served me well and deserves to stick around.

Heck, I have a Quicktake 100 and 150. Two of the first consumer digicams made.

6. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

I use both as well. One for long 80-200 usually and the other 24-80. Takes to long to switch lenses especially when your on location.

7. No no no... A working pro (earning money) will more often need 2 bodies. Just nature of things. Talent or not. :D

Talent does not necessarily require 2 cameras. That's all I meant.ΒΈ :oops:

Sorry for te misunderstanding Chris! And of course you have talent! Do you actually doubt it :?: I always enjoy your pics and insightful posts.

8. Honestly, if I was just walking around...give me a wide-angle prime and a D70...I bet I can come up with some cool shots!

9. Yup! 8)

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I have 2 D70's.. I keep a long lens on one and either a 12-24 or a 24-70 on the other..
    sometimes I will just keep 2 long lens on them.. depending where I am at... the biggest reason for 2 DSLR bodies is so I don't have to change lens' outdoors.

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I'm embarrased to say how many cameras I have. But as for my DSLRs, I use all three of them constantly. For some situations, one is better than the other, in other situations, I like the other one. Know what I mean.

Also, I actually bought the D70 for my assitant, but I end up using it the most out of all my cameras, mainly because of its light small size and not having to worry about flash sync speed.

12. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

I use both of my D70's. One for either my 12-24 the other for 24-120 but the intent is for a wide or mid on one and my 300mm on the other.

I also have a Canon S50 and I use this primarily for school field trips with my smaller students...my students would destroy my other camera's. Otherwise I do not use this camera much...

Joel.

13. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I know what youre talking about NB . I still use the H and the X ,but I always wish the lense thats on the H was on the X. I just would like to have 2 xs so I wouldnt have to try to figure out which one to shoot with which lense.

I still like the H for some things because the file sizes, but I would like to have the flexability of the x all the time too.

Once capture is fixed maybe the price of the x will come down where I can have two of those.

My D70 However gets very little use ,mainly on trips where photography is not the main reason. It will eventually go to one of my kids,Which is why Im keeping some of my lesser lenses too.

14. I usually carry a small digital P&S (I have several) in my shirt pocket or briefcase for some really quick snapshots. And I still shoot films with my F6 & Leica M.

15. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I've hardly used my D70 since i got the D2X. But I'm still in the honeymoon phase :) It's nice to have the backup.

16. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    i have to bodies d1x, d2h...gen i don't use both cameras...one for portraits other for fast high iso action...

but when it comes to weddings, i use both...no time to change lenses...sometimes i wished i had another body!

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    As strange as it may sound, I shot a roll of film through my F100 yesterday because a friend wanted pictures taken at a graduation party and they wanted very large enlargements made of family group shots because family doesn't get together often. I shot film because I was uncertain if files from my D2H would enlarge to the size they wanted. I defered to film and shooting with the F100 felt really strange. Now that I am done, I pulled the batteries out of the MB-15 and it's safe and sound in a cabinet.

18. I haven't touched my Canon G3, except once or twice a long while back, since getting my D70 over a year ago. I thought I might use the G3 for certain things like macros, but nope. I even tried lugging it along in my bag everyday for the first month or so -- and I still have the various accessories for it, eg. eTTL speedlight, wide and tele converters, etc.

I will probably upgrade to the expected D100 replacement come fall, and this time will probably just sell my D70 instead of keeping it around -- unless I can't get a decent sale for it.

_Man_

19. I'm not even clear which of my others is #2. In addition to the D2x, I have a D100 and a D2h. But neither of them gets as much use as my 35mm N80. But I don't use the N80 as much as my medium format Pentax 67. With the D2x, there's little point in using the 35mm, but it just can't beat a good scan from a really nice medium format slide.

Mike

20. Mike, looks like you're in trouble... :shock:

:wink: :wink: :wink: