1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Who can explain ? Zeiss by night

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Glaudus, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Glaudus

Glaudus

Aug 6, 2008
    Belgium
    Why I see some rainbows in my night pictures.
    Taken with D300 and Zeiss Distagon 35mm.

I do not have this issue with my 18-200 VR or with the Planar 50mm f1.4

2806897910_eaf7d64a1b_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2806044603_87b51d5391_b.png

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Arnaud

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Hmmm the Zeiss 35/2 is not generally known to flare this badly. Are you using filters?

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Looks like flare to me, most likely caused by the long exposure.

4. Glaudus

Glaudus

Aug 6, 2008
    Belgium
    Thanks

Thanks for your answers.
    I had no filter on the lens.

Both were long exposures : 13 seconds.
    With shorter exposures, the lens flares less badly.

Thanks

Arnaud

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi arnaud-

my old tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 showed flare similar to that. it made it tough to take night shots with that lens.

can you still return it for another copy?

ricky

6. One other guess--it may be oil or an oily residue on the lens. A really good cleaning using a clean wipe or cloth and a high quality lens cleaning liquid may help if this is the case.

7. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    That looks like pure and simple ghosting to me. Reflections from internal elements are being focused on the sensor, causing the UFOs in your image. It's entirely due to the coatings and general design of the lens (assuming you have no filter attached and all lens surfaces are spotless). With some lenses they may disappear depending on the aperture used, or by changing the angle of incidence to bright lights. Apart from that, there is nothing you can do except to try removing the ghosts with software or use a different lens. Another copy of the same lens won't make a difference since it is a feature of the lens design.

8. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    It is ghosting. X)

I am a little suprised, that this lens does that - it is known to be very resistent against flare and ghosting, but it seems not to be the same with nightshooting with lights - or with the long exposure.

No filter and clean lens - if that is OK, I am sorry to see that, because the lens was on my wishing list - and one of the things the lens was expected to deliver was... nightshooting with a lot of city-lights.

But thank you for sharing - so I do know that.

Looking at your pics again - it is also a real challenge you gave the lens with all those strong lights.

---
    X)

In my understanding flare is when you totally loose contrast when the lens is receiving sun directly, from the side or another bright thing.

Ghosts are those "UFO.s" - lookíng like flying ghosts ;) 

Sometimes you got both.

-----

By the way - looking the third time - I would remove the ghosts - I really like the images.

9. Glaudus

Glaudus

Aug 6, 2008
    Belgium
    Another sample

Thanks for all your answers.

The lens is new and it was the first time I was using it for night shots. The lens was very clean, without oil.

Here is another picture without ghosting and with a different angle of incidence to bright lights.

2806067119_549384ba72_b.jpg

10. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Try shooting wide open, or at f/4. Lenses ghost more when stopped down.

11. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    Can someone help me with the definition as well? I though contrast loss was "glare"... I would certainly benefit from the answer....

thanks!

12. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I am not sure you can get an answer that covers all peoples interpretations and what they call them - some call what I and rvink call ghosts for flare or "lens-flare", and some call flare for glare.

Also different in some countries, but when I read this interpretation from a photographer:

Flare is when you loose contrast because of a bright source - often the sun

Ghosts are those "UFO.s".
    (colored spots or whatever it looks like - f.ex a ghost ;) .(Sometimes you get both things.... flare AND ghosts)

Then it is easy to communicate about.

-----

By the way:

You can sometimes get rid of the ghosts by changing the angle to the bright source, as you allready have experienced.

This way can help seeing it:

Frame - and if you are not sure if there are ghosts - then set the aperture on lowest f-stop (f.ex. f. 22), click the DOF-buttom and look - any ghosts ? - if yes try to alter the angle and if then away, then keep the angle and set the aperture what you want.

Clicking the DOF-buttom at the lowest stop will normally get it easier to see.

Hope this helps ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.