1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Who has both a D300 and a D90?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by leahp26, Sep 26, 2008.

1. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I have a D300 and I'm toying with the idea of a back up body.

I've seen some threads looking at D200 vs D90 so thought I'd see if anyone has thoughts on the D90 vs D300.

I like the high ISO performance of the D300 and hear the D90 is comparable.

How do you find the D90 and D300 compare?
    What do you like/dislike about each in comparison with the other?
    If you have the D90 as a back up, are you happy with it?

Thanks!

Leah

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    My D300 and My Daughters D90

Honerstly...I was impressed with the D90...just not for what I do.

I though the shots were cleaner at higher ISO and the AF was far quicker and more precise than I expected it to be.

Also honestly and I don't know why,,,the D90 fits my hand better than the D300 without the grip.

Overall, I was pretty darned impressed.

When I mounted my 500, it appeared to focus just as fast as the D300.

3. Hey Jim, regarding AF with the D90, you actually like it better than the D300? I was thinking about getting a D90 for it's video capabilities, but I was going to use it predominantly with telephoto shooting. So do you think the AF is up to par? I'm selling a D2X to finance it though. I'll most likely use it with my 200 VR, 200-400 VR and 500 HSM. I highly value your opinion on this matter, because I might just pick up a D90 this weekend if it's worth it. The AF is my biggest concern. It's between this and buying another D300. My friend will sell me a D300 for 1000 dollars so I'll be spending about the same. How does it do tracking BIF?

4. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    I just picked up the D90 a few hours ago to replace my D40 as a backup. I'll check back with you in a few days and give you my impression. What I can tell you right now is I miss some of the manual controls that the D300 has, like switching metering mode. Not a deal breaker for now but I do wish it was right there at my finger tip.

5. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

Jonathan..I though for sure you would jump to the D700....

6. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Yes, please report back, I too am very interested like Leah. I was considering a D300 but am reading that the metering is much like the D300. Also I'm very curious about the high ISO capabilities of the 90.

7. I still need pixel density. The D3 is great for about 80% of what I shoot, but the other 20% I still need denser pixels. I though I could wing it with the D2X, but the D2X is not great shooting with telephotos in mixed lighting. That external WB sensor really sucks!

8. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thank you Jim!

Jonathan & Brad - glad this info will be helpful to you too!

Sam - interesting, looking forward to hearing what you think after a couple of days of shooting...

Thanks all!

9. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    I think that we'll have to wait until the D90 (body only) is release. I'm guessing noone wants to pay and sit on a 18-105.

10. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    I bought just the body...

11. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    You can now preorder just the body at B&H I think

12. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Out of curiosity, what happens if you tape the sensor over and keep light from getting to it? I wonder if that would force it to rely on what it sees through the lens or if it would just confuse it further.

13. mathjak107

mathjak107

Mar 20, 2007
    nyc
    what effect does the movie mode have on shutter life expectancy?

14. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    It doesn't trigger the shutter except to start/stop movie mode, so almost certainly none.

15. sjd996

sjd996

Sep 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I shoot with a D300, I was using a D200 as a backup, but I got a D90 last week to replace the D200.

The D90 exceeded my expectations. I don't like the plastic grips and the silver shutter release doesn't feel right to me, but other than that for most of what I use it for, it looks like it can keep up with my D300. Haven't tried fast moving targets yet so don't know how well the Autofocus will keep up, and I haven't given it a particularly challenging scene to meter, but in casual use it keeps up.

The huge downside with the D90 however, is my wife. I tried to get her to learn to use my D200 a couple of years ago, too complex and too heavy for her. However the day the D90 arrived she picked it up, hit the liveview button and started recording Video. She's since been refering to it as her Nikon. So I may yet be stuck with the D200 as a backup.

16. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    LOL

17. Deep

Deep

Sep 27, 2008
    Milton, ON
    Hey brotha - Just joined up over here - nice to see you here too!

18. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Good one Steve, now you can pick up a few lenses for 'her' 90 and use them when she isn't LOL

19. Hi Leah....
    Although I have the D300 & D80, I got my brother the D90 kit last week, and I was very impressed with the shots it produced...
    It feels like a D80 with a 3" rear LCD, but that's where the comparison stops...

So Leah, if your happy with what your D300 does, I'm really sure that you will like the lighter D90 as a back up, as it will do a great job....
    I'd go for it....

20. sjd996

sjd996

Sep 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hadn't thought of that...

Hadn't thought of that... I can think of several lenses my wife will need :smile: - I mean, how could she possibly live without a 600mm f4? Wonder if she'll be upset if I put it on her credit card.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.