Who has helped you on these forums, time to say thanks!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daves602, May 18, 2007.

1. For me there are 2 guys, Uncle Frank and Edward Neal. You guys have been around forums for longer than I and the knowledge that I have picked up from the pair of you is priceless, (if I put a price on it, you would probably ask me to cough up!:eek: ).
    Yesterday I had an assignment to photograph an Australian cricket player before he jetted off to the other side of the world. I used the SU800, SB800 and SB600's, D2x and a few light stands. The kit was light but effective, there were heaps of people in the studio as there was a television crew in there at the same time. Having wireless, no cables for people to trip over as it was pretty dark in there, I had very little concern for my gear being accidentally damaged, the images were amazing, the client was very happy with the result and so was the international sportsman. This was in no small way a result of Uncle Frank's effort in helping me out with some info and confidence building.
    Then it came to me editing a few of the images for myself and I used software that Edward had recommended ages ago, to say I am happy is an understatement. He has even told many of the software that he uses to defish his 10.5mm which from all accounts looks to be the best of the defish software. When I eventually buy a 10.5, I will definitely grab the software Edward recommends.
    These are just a couple of "for instances" that these guys have helped me with, there are many more that to list and recall "off the cuff" would be a bit of an ask. :smile:
    I can only hope to help others in forums on the net in the same polite and friendly way as I pass on information that I strive to keep as accurate and non emotional as possible. Nothing worse than a huge wrap on an item that is not worthy of it, but I guess we have all done that at one time or another. There is a problem with this photography bug, when some one's standards are not the same as yours, you take them at face value and many times the whizzbang item lets you down big time.
    I can only try to offer sound advise like these guys do, it doesn't always happen though.

2. I couldn't agree more, Frank and Ed are making the difference with most of us..

3. I dislike posts like these, because there are so many helpful people here, and I've learned much from many, and I know if I named names, I'd omit some unintentionally and then feel terrible about it afterward.

But I will say that I follow Uncle Frank's posts like a crazed stalker! I appreciate the time he puts into describing his equipment and processes. When I was looking for a flash bracket, Uncle Frank had a fabulous post on the CB Jr, and I read it many times. When I was looking for a flash modifier, he had a nifty post on a homemade variety, and I looked at that one many times. Now I see he's into the strobist setup, which is perfect because I decided to go that route last winter and now need to take dance portraits of my daughter. I think I've read every post he's made here talking about what a great people lens the 28-70 f/2.8 is, and he sure was right on that account...I've rarely taken the lens off my camera since I bought it...it's my candid walkaround all-purpose lens. But what really touches me is that Frank sees the beauty in all of his subjects, not just the conventionally beautiful ones, but all of them, and that comes through in his work.

I'm sitting here thinking of the others who have helped me, and the list goes on and on (and on and on...every time I think I'm done I remember another!) Just had to 'fess up to being Uncle Frank's stalker :biggrin: (and Gordon's (greyflash), too...another whose love for his work shines through in his portraits.)

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I too, tend to not want to post on threads like this because I will leave someone out,

so i will just say "the usual suspects" and leave it at that.

Learned so much from so many, each with different tips, techniques, suggestions, thoughts, viewpoints, opinions, etc. etc. to numerous to mention.

Cheers

Wade

5. Thanks Sommer for your nice comments. I agree that UF is very good to describe his equipment and processes. He also posts some great people images. We have lots of nice folks here on the Cafe that are most helpful and I am always glad to associate with them.

6. Dave Watts, with personal phone calls for help on Apple and Aperture.

Larry Ozarks, with help using Apple

Doug Barber, from about as far North as one cares to go.

John, Gadgetguy, for just being a friend.
    I met John thru "rent a friend"
    He was the upgrade.

Greg

7. I think every one has in one way or another, by posting and by answering. This is a great group of people and I thank you all.:biggrin: :biggrin:

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I second that and I learn a lot by looking at all the great shots. Several names comes to my mind.

9. Better to say thanks than not say anything.

Sommer, I guess that we just show our appreciation differently and I have no reservation about letting the broader community know of 1 or 2 people who put in more time than others towards helping me. Yes, there are more, but this is an ongoing forum and I am sure that I will thank other members as time goes on. I don't tread softly in my praise where it is due and make no apology for it.

10. HELP....and LOTS of it...

There is no question I could mention many here and I'm sure forget as many as I mention.

But at the end of the day.... it is the COMMUNITY that helps me the most. You see it is this community that allows me to see the great things that people are doing and then go out and try to figure out how they made that happen.
    No question I could mention Gordon, Dave, Sandi, Ray and many others... But I won't only because I don't want to forget anyone.

So instead....THANKS TO EVERYONE IN THIS COMMUNITY FOR HELPING ME