who here owns the nikon 20-35 2.8?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rnyc1, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rnyc1

rnyc1

Mar 27, 2006
    New York
    Hi everyone,

How many forum members own this lens? I am seriously considering this lens and would live to get some thoughts and perhaps see some examples.

Thanks,

Robert

2. I had this lens some years ago (with my D100).
    - very solid build
    - very sharp, just about at par with the 17-25 f/2.8 (which I got to replace it)
    - I found it to have somewhat more pincushion distortion at the wide end

For me the added 3mm at the wide end was justification to get the 17-35 at the time. I tried them side-by-side and one does appreciate the seemingly little difference of only 3mm (especially with digital).

So,
    - if you are OK with the 20mm at the wide end, you will love this excellent lens, which of course can be had much cheaper then the 17-35 or 17-55.

3. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Robert,

Like Frits, I had a 20-35 a while ago with my first D70. Its build quality was about the best I've seen on a Nikon lens. For me, the 20-35 was a little large and heavy for its limited focal range, so I dropped it in favor of a 17-55 before too long. Its image quality was excellent, but I found myself near the 35mm mark most of the time. Here's a sample, http://GTIkeda.smugmug.com/photos/139495302-O.jpg, albeit taken with some experimental flash settings. You might have to click on the image itself to see the image in its uploaded size and remove the compression artifacts.

4. rnyc1

rnyc1

Mar 27, 2006
    New York
    Thanks guys....you have helped me make my decision........

5. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

which is?.....

to buy or not to buy?

6. rnyc1

rnyc1

Mar 27, 2006
    New York
    to buy :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.