1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Who insures camera eqipment?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jeff Mims, Aug 6, 2007.

  1. Jeff Mims

    Jeff Mims

    May 25, 2005
    I have a rider on my home policy. Just got off the phone with my agent. Even *part-time* is considered business, has to be written differently and no replacment cost.
    Is there any such policy/company that does?
  2. I have my camera gear insured through Traveler's, a special blanket policy that covers up to $10,000 without needing to send them descriptions of all the lenses and bodies, or it will cover more if one sends in the detailed information on each specific item. They did ask me if I sell my work or if this is just a hobby..... I know that insurance for photographers who are making money with their gear is different and a lot more expensive. Nikonians offers some sort of special photographic gear insurance and I have seen other discussions on this site about getting coverage. Good luck!
  3. Jeff Mims

    Jeff Mims

    May 25, 2005
    Good luck is right. Thanks Connie.

    My home insurance covers all my camera equipment, with replacement cost..UNLESS I sell photos. Even if I'm just selling to parents, part-time..I would still be considered a business.
    I can get it covered..(sort of) but no replacement cost. So let's say I have a $2000 camera body, and it's gets stolen, burned up..etc. They would pay me *their estimated current value*..which could mean..they think it's worth..$400.
    Sounds next to worthless to me.
  4. Oldtime


    Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
  5. adrianaitken

    adrianaitken Guest

    I've got specialist photographers coverage here in the UK including 3rd party coverage for over a milliom pounds (US$2 million). Very cheap compared to losing/damaging my equipment or being sued !!!!
    Also, the Nikonians insurance has been terminated - not enough people signed up for it and lots of forum chatter about it being a struggle to get claims paid.
  6. jeremyInMT

    jeremyInMT Guest

    I went through State Farm. It is around $1.41 per $100 of equipment for one year. The price is higher (can't remember how much) if you are a pro. Usually the home policies don't cover things like if you drop the camera somewhere, whereas the seperate policy will cover stuff like that.
  7. CNA is the company that covers mine. Got it through a local commercial insurance agent.
  8. Tintop

    Tintop Guest

    What's the name of the company you're insured with?
  9. Jeff Mims

    Jeff Mims

    May 25, 2005
    Thanks Mark, I certainly did check them out, and applied for a quote with both. We'll see what happens.
    It's amazing that it seems so hard to get adequate insurance for what I want to do.
    I want to shoot sports, and sell (hopefully) to kids and parents, the sports pics. I don't want to open a studio, or hang a shingle. I'm talking about a hobby that supports it's self. If it develops from there, then I'll adjust insurance there.
    I can get insurance alright...just actual cash value (ACV). For example, if I had a $4500 camera..and used it for a year, then it was stolen..I wouldn't get $4500. I'd get what the insurance co thought it was worth. Now that's taking almost as big a chance as having no insurance at all. I need something with replacement coverage. My homeowners has replacement, but if I sell one photo..or even market to sell, I'm considered a business, and my homeowners won't cover it. This according to my agent, this morning.
  10. acena


    Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    PPA uses Seabury & Marsh out of Chicago.
  11. Jeff Mims

    Jeff Mims

    May 25, 2005
    Thanks! I just submitted my application. I am a member of nppa (shooting for local newspaper). We'll see how that goes. The coverage is good, better than what I was offered around here.
    Thanks for the tip.

    And Thanks to everyone else who responded. Very much appreciated.
  12. adrianaitken

    adrianaitken Guest

  13. Phyxius

    Phyxius Guest

    I've have mine insured to $10,000 with All State and that also included my desktop computer and laptop computers. They actually contract out on this to Northeast Agencies.

    It includes the camera coverage and $300,000 for liability.
  14. Zelaya


    Aug 20, 2007
    Hi Jeff, I happen to be a Insurance agent for Allstate Insurance and I have my gear insure for additional rider, but the catch is that it will be cover if you use your equipment for hobby only, however as Cristina mention, Allstate also uses Northeast agency for their commercial business policy. What does Mack insurance really cover??
  15. Jeff Mims

    Jeff Mims

    May 25, 2005
    Oscar, I had my cameras covered on a separate schedule on my home policy. Full replacement value..unless I tried to sell photos, then I was considered a business. Even if it was part time.
    That's why I had to switch. I went with the NPPA's program, thru Hayes, underwritten by Travelers.
    It's more expensive, but it's cheaper than replacing a 300 f/2.8 lens.
  16. koolk2


    Sep 9, 2006
    My insurance is through Travelers. Here is the agent I used http://packagechoice.com/ Speak to Richard, he is very knowledgeable. I got over $10k worth of coverage, $2M of liability, plus loss of income, etc for around $500/ yr.
  17. thorin


    Feb 10, 2007
    Nikonians has discontinued their insurance. From my reading, be careful of adding a rider to your home policy - a claim on your camera equipment is like having a claim against your homeowner's policy and may very well raise your homeowners rates.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.