Who is running their own web server.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Pete, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I am running my web server at home on an older computer. This works well for me because I do not get much bandwidth traffic but I need lots of storage space for photos and galleries. I know it is more work this way but it gives me a lot of freedom to work with and lets me have multiple websites.

Computer 1Ghz Pentium III w/ 1G ram
    SME Server 6 (still tying to get the upgrade to SME 7 working)
    Wordpress blog pages
    Coppermine photo gallery
    PHPbb for the forum but it got too much spam and had to close it
    Thinking about putting on a Wiki to replace the forum
    DNS2Go for the Dynamic DNS and domain name registration
    Business 3G DSL with 768k upload (Plenty for my use)

http://www.3rdtrick.com
    http://www.pete.3rdtrick.com

Who else is running their own server? What are you using?

I guess we can make this "Show us your web server" thread...
    [​IMG]

Pete

2. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    Awesome monitor .... LOL

3. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Actually the monitor is not on the server. It was state of the art composite with separate sync and worked with my Commodore 64... It still works great and I use it with a tuner to watch TV...

I take it you had one too...

Thanks
    Pete

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  4. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    ARE YOU SERIOUS??????

I had no idea you could do that... Ok... time to head to the basement, I know it's down there somewhere

5. Have a 450mhz one rnning suse 10.1 as a home server. Currently its down since i needed a couple parts for the test rig.

6. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    PF, I am very serious. I have that one and a genuine Commodore 1702 both connected to a VCR for the tuner. The sound plays through an old Radio Shack desktop stereo. With the two monitors I can see the TV in either direction I have my chair pointed. This system has been operating for at least 10 years with no trouble. Just make sure you have a tuner or VCR with audio outputs.

The server itself does not have a monitor, keyboard or mouse. All administration is done remotely. MJ checkout the Coppermine Photo Gallery for your home server. It is a free download and should work in your Susi distro.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  7. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    There are some tricks to get rid of spam on phpBB.... :biggrin:

I loved Coppermine, and the speed. The lack of static URL's to individual pics killed it for my intended purpose....if they fixed that, I'd take another look.

8. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Lisa,
    I just click on the photo and "view photo". That gives the image and jpg link. It works fine for the cafe. Not just the bots but lack of interest in the forum. I notified all (both) of the users that the forum was closed. I am thinking of starting a Wiki site instead of the forum. You might want to try the Coppermine again.
    Pete

9. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Yep, that will work for things like the Cafe. I actually have a small scrapbook site, and tried to use it for the gallery there...folks couldn't share URL's directly to their work with the descriptions, etc. because the URL's were dynamic.

Last I checked, the Coppermine folks were going to fix that in an upcoming release, so I may well move back. :)

10. there's a plugin to change the urls,. http://www.pixmad.com/gallery/ has it on,. if you use ftp or scp to upload and use bulk import then you will know the urls for the images

I host my own websites on debian,. couple of PIII boxes,. as well as running apache and mysql I also host the DNS (powerdns.com) and mail (qmail),. it's a great way to learn how the interweb works :smile:

I am slowly migrating parts of the important sites so large files are hosted elsewhere,. 600kbs upload is ok but not great for larger files

Sil

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    is that a multi-color fan or power supply? I had a power supply like that, but it didn't last long, and the power supply doesn't generally mount in the front. :)

12. I'm not running my own server but I am interested and have some questions.

Currently I have cable for my ISP with speeds of 10mbps down and 1mbps up. Can I use it to host my site? I have a router connected to my modem then it goes to my mac.

Or do I have to get another ISP (say DSL) and do it that way? Can I get the slowest/cheapest and use that or do I have to get a business DSL line?

13. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Cable IP's are dynamic and subject to change. There are services available that will follow your IP changes to allow you to associate your cable modem to a domain name, but I wouldn't recommend this approach for hosting a server. It's more of a service to allow you to access your home computer while you're away. It may also be a violation of your terms of service with your cable provider.

Besides, hosting on a shared server is far more robust and generally inexpensive. Check out hostgator.net, for example.

14. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I run my own webserver. I can't physically see it, since it is as a colocation facility. :)

I use a bunch of wacky stuff though that I would bet few people heard of here...

Apache+Nevow+Twisted with my own custom gallery application. :)

15. ISPs usually offer a static IP option at a higher cost than the standard fee. For a while I ran my own webserver but when I figured what it was costing me in terms of the hardware, maintenance, electricity, and additional costs for the static IP address, it became clear to me that using a hosting service would be cheaper. I'm using DreamHost at the moment for my web stuff... after the first year which you can usually find a great deal for, they come out to about $10/month for far more disc space and traffic than I use.

To expand on a point above about violating your TOC with your ISP by hosting a webserver, the one I was using at the time (Adelphia) actually blocked inbound requests on port 80 (HTTP) and I had to use a non-standard port...

16. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Doug, that is just a fan in the front. I put the disk drives in the CD bay and fan blows the air directly over them for extra cooling.

John, I use DNS2Go for a dynamic DNS. There is a client that runs on one of my computers and keeps them posted with my IP address if it changes. My domain name then always points to my server. You can do the same with a cable service. I would recommend using another box for the server rather than tie up your Mac. All of the server software I am using is Linux based and is a free download.

I do it this way because I have little traffic but use lots of disk space and I can play with multiple sites, have an FTP server and other things. My ISP knows and is ok with it because of the light traffic. Geoff is right about the the easiest and cheapest way for an individual site but I just like knowing that it is running out of my home and it is a great learning experience.
    Pete

17. doobes

doobes

Aug 15, 2006
    Reston, VA
    The deal of the year is the basic server package at lunarpages (http://www.lunarpages.com/solutions.php). 350Gb of storage and 3500 Gb/month transfer for $6.95 a month. Lunarpages hosts Radifies.com which gets a lot of access and he is very happy with them.