1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Who knows the tradition of this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dutchwindmill, Sep 8, 2008.

1. During my visit to the Oosterbeek Airborne cemetery my Scouts noticed a few Jewish graves.They asked me what the pebbels on the tombe mean.
    _DSC5563.
    All i know is that when you are Jewish,and visit a died friend or relative,you leave a pebble on the tombe.I only dont know what the whole story about this is.
    Who can help me out? When i explain something to my kids,i like to tell the right thing.

2. From askmoses.com

According to Rabbi Maurice Lamm (author of "The Jewish Way in Death and Mourning") the custom of placing stones on the monument "probably serves as a reminder of the family's presence. [The evidence that this grave is attended, visited and cared for, is respectful for the deceased - NS]. Also, it may hark back to biblical days when the monument was a heap of stones. Often the elements or roving vandals dispersed them, and so visitors placed other additional stones to assure that the grave was marked."

Also, by placing a stone we further participate in the "construction" of the tombstone -- which in itself constitutes a Mitzvah.

3. Thank you very much for this explaination.I realy do apriciat it.

4. Very interesting thread!

5. Funny thing happend.
    i was translating this to our Scoutingforum when i figured out that a Dutch saying is related to this tradition.When we in Holland pay our contribution to something,we say: "we dragen ons steentje bij" Sorry for the lame translation,but it means as much as "we bring in our little stone".Great to learn things this way!

6. This is indeed a really neat thread. I've been doing this for many years but never new the origins of it. My father, grandfather, Aunt, godfather and few other relatives are buried at Arlington National Cemetery. I've seen it done there before and I thought it was more "greener" than laying cut flowers which need to be picked up by maintenance staff or units of the Old Guard.

I've got my young kids searching for little pebbles when we visit. It gives them a special feeling to know they left a special thought to their past relatives.

Thank you again.

7. This is a neat tradition, and I had always thought it was only a Jewish tradition. I shot a series of pics of this subject earlier this year at a local cemetery, never got around to posting them, but it is a moving addition to a memorial.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.