Who likes Pelicans

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Randy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
  2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    The clarity, color and sharpness on all of these pictures is just stunning Randy!!! May I ask which lens was used for this shoot?

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Shekhar

80-400vr

4. The Pelican is one of my all time favorite birds. Randy you've done an outstanding job with these captures.

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    great detail Randy

and from the lowly 80-400VR :wink:

were these at F7.1 ?

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Louie

thx Frank

6.3,7.1 and f8....more is always better and depending on the background and how much i can fill the frame and the light i will keep pushing it.

7. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Wow Randy, you should take these pictures down immediately lest Nikon sees them and stops all efforts they are making on upgrading the VR on the old 80-400. I am pretty sure they are all set to come out with the advanced VR functionality on the 80-400 but what you have done with these images demonstrates one more time that it is the person behind the lens that 'eventually' makes the difference.

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i have always thought the 80-400 is an amazing lens...a little slow on focus but i don't use it for anything moving.
    Since I use the 300vr & 400vr for BIFs I won't upgrade to the new 80-400 when it comes out

9. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Randy,

Wow, these are great! Whereabouts did you shoot these? Where I live we see browns all the time, but only whites when migrating... Your browns look somewhat different than the ones we have here... or maybe it's just these browns?

Thanks for posting these.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

10. I'm amazed at how sharp these are. I agree this lens will do wonders in the right hands.
    thanks for sharing
    Tom

11. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Yamo
    these were at the Miami Zoo

thx Tom

I am down to just a few zooms now and it's alot of fun to try and fully compose the shots in the camera vs having to crop and the 80-400 at a zoo like Miami where the animals are pretty close is perfect for this

12. well done Randy., it sure is a good lens.

13. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Randy, these are great. Did you use the D300 or D3?

14. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Very striking images - the colors of the water are great. I like the 4th and 5th ones best.

I was attracted to this thread by the title - I was going to answer just the white meat. :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  15. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Ray

thx Ron....d300

thx alan and shame on you

16. Beautiful shots of an ugly bird......I thought it was your 300vr......the 80-400 is surprisingly good.

17. Beautiful details Randy!
    Fred

18. I DO I DO I DO! Especially the brown ones! That's our state bird of Louisiana! Nice captures Randy! A favorite is #3!!!!! BUT, I like em all!

19. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
  20. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Peter

thx Fred

thx D

thx Wade...awesome stuff in your gallery