1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Who manages your website?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danameless, Jul 28, 2009.

1. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    So I am starting to build up a little portfolio and entering the next stage of creating my own website, and just curious on how people here have built their websites?

Did you use a photography site like Zenfolio or Smugmug? Or did you purchase your own domain and build/manage your own site through a web host? I haven't quite decided yet. I like the ease of a smugmug site, but I want my own web address. I think smugmug offers that with it's pro package, right? Do the other sites, like zenfolio, offer that? For example, I want my address to say www.myphotography.com and not www.smugmug.com/myphotography.

I've also thought about buying my own domain and having someone host it, but it's more work in getting the page built and maintaining it. I'm not a web designer, so would need to get a template and all that stuff. Does anyone go this route? What are the advantages/disadvantages do you see by going this direction?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I am just about to go live with my website and will be using arvixe.com

Good prices with lot's of features.

If you aren't too into building your own site there are tons of developers out there, just google it. Or you can buy a template and just make the adjustments needed or you can try out Rapidweaver if you have a Mac.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I do everything myself, currently building one with Squarespace.

5. I do, but I have a lot of experience with web development and Flash.

Sean

6. alyssaf

alyssaf

Apr 8, 2008
    Georgia
    I did my own using rapidweaver. I tried using my smugmug account as my site (pointed to my domain), but I much prefer building the site in rapidweaver. It's so much easier to make changes and get the look you want.

7. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    I don't have a business (yet?) so it will be mainly to showcase my work for now and potentially use it to gain business if I do decide to go down that route, which I most likely will one day.

I'd like to think I can learn things relatively quickly and have friends who are developers (My friend is actually the guy who built the ashton kutcher Nikon website) if I had questions or needed help. I am not looking for anything too fancy with Flash as a starting page, but I just like to be able to customize it to my liking and hopefully look different than others. But you do have a point on whether I should spend the time building on my photography or try to learn something else in the process.

Squarespace looks interesting, but also can be expensive. The Pro package is $14/month which comes out to about $168/annually (which isn't too bad), but it can be as high as $40/month. Is the Basic package enough for your needs or is Pro a must?

8. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    In that case, get smugmug and learn everything you can about photography and marketing.

9. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Currently I"m still in the 14 day trial period so I can't tell you which package is the "best". I think I'll probably either go for a "Pro" or "Advanced".

10. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I did a little bit of web design when I was younger so if I launch a site for my photography it will be run by me.

It's very simple to make a website with Imageready/Photoshop and have it ready to go for uploading. Or you can take the time to make it in pure flash. There's also dreamweaver, etc etc etc

11. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I have dreamweaver and CS4, so was thinking about using them to build my site. Thanks!

12. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    No problem!

http://www.entheosweb.com/photoshop/slice.asp

This tutorial should help you out. It's pretty much what I used to do for my websites, the photoshop slicing method.

Also, one thing to keep in mind. If you want to have a gallery where customers can directly buy prints, consider SmugMug ( I believe they have this feature?) Keep in mind you can still host your own website, and link it to your smugmug. Also, with smugmug's unlimited picture space, it would be a great place to keep your hi-res pictures. 1gb of web space isn't much for ful-res pictures :) 

13. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    That's a good point. For now, I just wanted to have a online portfolio to be able to show people and like the idea of customizing it to my taste. But eventually, if I do decide to sell prints, I will probably point to a site like smugmug like you suggested.

Thanks again for the link-

14. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    No problem, glad I could help.

15. Eyekonic

Eyekonic

Feb 25, 2008
    SouthCarolina
    I use 3iX for my webhosting. You can google it. I use Gallery2 for my photo managment. It's a free application:smile:

16. goffer

goffer

Nov 22, 2007
    San Diego
    I use hostgator to host and built my site with drupal/gallery2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.