Who manages your website?

So I am starting to build up a little portfolio and entering the next stage of creating my own website, and just curious on how people here have built their websites?

Did you use a photography site like Zenfolio or Smugmug? Or did you purchase your own domain and build/manage your own site through a web host? I haven't quite decided yet. I like the ease of a smugmug site, but I want my own web address. I think smugmug offers that with it's pro package, right? Do the other sites, like zenfolio, offer that? For example, I want my address to say www.myphotography.com and not www.smugmug.com/myphotography.

I've also thought about buying my own domain and having someone host it, but it's more work in getting the page built and maintaining it. I'm not a web designer, so would need to get a template and all that stuff. Does anyone go this route? What are the advantages/disadvantages do you see by going this direction?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I am just about to go live with my website and will be using arvixe.com

Good prices with lot's of features.

If you aren't too into building your own site there are tons of developers out there, just google it. Or you can buy a template and just make the adjustments needed or you can try out Rapidweaver if you have a Mac.

I did my own using rapidweaver. I tried using my smugmug account as my site (pointed to my domain), but I much prefer building the site in rapidweaver. It's so much easier to make changes and get the look you want.

SmugMug does indeed offer your own domain, as do others such as PBase etc. (including Apple's MobileMe incidentally) - they offer by far the best value for money and easiest route to selling online.

Whilst it's not hard to "do it yourself", it's more time and effort - that as a photographer coud be better utilised on your business - for hobby photogs DiY can allow more flexibility and freedom to do weird and unusual presentations, but it does take time, some skill, and to do it well a fair bit of web authoring and graphics talent.

SmugMug would be my recommendation :smile: (although being an amateur, I DiY, although I'm not the best example of doing so)
I don't have a business (yet?) so it will be mainly to showcase my work for now and potentially use it to gain business if I do decide to go down that route, which I most likely will one day.

I'd like to think I can learn things relatively quickly and have friends who are developers (My friend is actually the guy who built the ashton kutcher Nikon website) if I had questions or needed help. I am not looking for anything too fancy with Flash as a starting page, but I just like to be able to customize it to my liking and hopefully look different than others. But you do have a point on whether I should spend the time building on my photography or try to learn something else in the process.

I do everything myself, currently building one with Squarespace.
Squarespace looks interesting, but also can be expensive. The Pro package is $14/month which comes out to about $168/annually (which isn't too bad), but it can be as high as $40/month. Is the Basic package enough for your needs or is Pro a must?

I don't have a business (yet?) so it will be mainly to showcase my work for now and potentially use it to gain business if I do decide to go down that route, which I most likely will one day.

I'd like to think I can learn things relatively quickly and have friends who are developers (My friend is actually the guy who built the ashton kutcher Nikon website) if I had questions or needed help. I am not looking for anything too fancy with Flash as a starting page, but I just like to be able to customize it to my liking and hopefully look different than others. But you do have a point on whether I should spend the time building on my photography or try to learn something else in the process.
In that case, get smugmug and learn everything you can about photography and marketing.

Squarespace looks interesting, but also can be expensive. The Pro package is $14/month which comes out to about $168/annually (which isn't too bad), but it can be as high as $40/month. Is the Basic package enough for your needs or is Pro a must?
Currently I"m still in the 14 day trial period so I can't tell you which package is the "best". I think I'll probably either go for a "Pro" or "Advanced".

I did a little bit of web design when I was younger so if I launch a site for my photography it will be run by me.

It's very simple to make a website with Imageready/Photoshop and have it ready to go for uploading. Or you can take the time to make it in pure flash. There's also dreamweaver, etc etc etc

I did a little bit of web design when I was younger so if I launch a site for my photography it will be run by me.

It's very simple to make a website with Imageready/Photoshop and have it ready to go for uploading. Or you can take the time to make it in pure flash. There's also dreamweaver, etc etc etc
Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I have dreamweaver and CS4, so was thinking about using them to build my site. Thanks!

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I have dreamweaver and CS4, so was thinking about using them to build my site. Thanks!
No problem!

http://www.entheosweb.com/photoshop/slice.asp

This tutorial should help you out. It's pretty much what I used to do for my websites, the photoshop slicing method.

Also, one thing to keep in mind. If you want to have a gallery where customers can directly buy prints, consider SmugMug ( I believe they have this feature?) Keep in mind you can still host your own website, and link it to your smugmug. Also, with smugmug's unlimited picture space, it would be a great place to keep your hi-res pictures. 1gb of web space isn't much for ful-res pictures :)

No problem!

http://www.entheosweb.com/photoshop/slice.asp

This tutorial should help you out. It's pretty much what I used to do for my websites, the photoshop slicing method.

Also, one thing to keep in mind. If you want to have a gallery where customers can directly buy prints, consider SmugMug ( I believe they have this feature?) Keep in mind you can still host your own website, and link it to your smugmug. Also, with smugmug's unlimited picture space, it would be a great place to keep your hi-res pictures. 1gb of web space isn't much for ful-res pictures :)
That's a good point. For now, I just wanted to have a online portfolio to be able to show people and like the idea of customizing it to my taste. But eventually, if I do decide to sell prints, I will probably point to a site like smugmug like you suggested.

Thanks again for the link-

That's a good point. For now, I just wanted to have a online portfolio to be able to show people and like the idea of customizing it to my taste. But eventually, if I do decide to sell prints, I will probably point to a site like smugmug like you suggested.

Thanks again for the link-
No problem, glad I could help.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom