Who Needs a Full Figured Male Model?

G

Gr8Tr1x

Okay, maybe Full Figured isn't the right word...Husky? Big and Tall?

Nonetheless, I was striving to do a real self portrait this time. It was sort of an assigment from over in the Lighting Forums. I thought that I would share them here though.

The background was made by shooting an SB600 thru three water bottles filled with green water. The whole shebang was lit with two more SB600's (one in a Softliter II and one on a boom for my melon) and one SB800 on camera for fill.

155409096-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

155413801-L.jpg

Good lookin' guy!

To my eye, you need a tad more fill...maybe it's just me, but it seems too dark on the left side of your face...there is a lot of detail in your hair that is lost. Maybe dial up the onboard flash 2/3 of a stop and see what it looks like...or add some fill in PS...

G

Gr8Tr1x

Good lookin' guy!

To my eye, you need a tad more fill...maybe it's just me, but it seems too dark on the left side of your face...there is a lot of detail in your hair that is lost. Maybe dial up the onboard flash 2/3 of a stop and see what it looks like...or add some fill in PS...

Thanks John...I'll try and add a reflector.

I think you did a really good job here Joshua.

Like John, I would prefer a bit of fill and some more detail in the hair, especially on the color shot.

I really like the B&W shot the way it is.

Regards,

G

Gr8Tr1x

I think you did a really good job here Joshua.

Like John, I would prefer a bit of fill and some more detail in the hair, especially on the color shot.

I really like the B&W shot the way it is.

Regards,

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate you looking and your advice. I am a big fan of your work so it means alot to me that you took the time to comment.

These are nice. Perhaps a bit light on the fill as others have said.

This so reminds me of my early days learning studio lighting. If you really want a challenge, go for a true Rembrandt look by raising the key and catching the triangle of light on the fill side cheek. I used to put a mirror behind the camera to 'see the light' and get the framing right. Have fun!

G

Gr8Tr1x

OKay, I'll work on it and see if I can add some fill. Thanks all.

How's this? Highlight adjustment in PSCS2.

155547152-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nuteshack

gosh Josh, you're a good lookin young man....;-))
..so those green water filled bottles gave u that background? how cool is that?

G

Gr8Tr1x

gosh Josh, you're a good lookin young man....;-))
..so those green water filled bottles gave u that background? how cool is that?

Thanks Nute...Yeah the water bottles are a neat idea I picked up over on the The Strobist's blog. I have used Gels before, but I wanted to try something that would give different textures and stuff. I may try some multi-colored setups and experiment with different things in front of the bottles next.

G

Gr8Tr1x

Did you use Curves? I like the second one. Added the light it needed. Good job.

Curves is a little bit alien to me. I am more comfortable with Levels and Shadow/Highlight adjustment. Thats all I really used to open up the shadows on this one..the Shadow/Highlight tool in PSCS2.

N

Nuteshack

right on ...i really like the background, better than most of the fabric i'm used to seeing...thanks for sharing and i'd like to see more of this kind of stuff ....;-))

Aside from what's been mentioned already, very interesting images, you got two totally different looks for sure. I had to look twice to be sure it was the same person :).

Latest threads

Top Bottom