1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Who needs the 400 when I got this....

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GeoffBolte, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Kind of, went out to shoot 2 days of golf with my D300 and 300mm combo, also a few with the 70-200.

Finally had the chance to shoot this week, as Monday was a wash, the course was closed due to flooding, and Tuesday it rained and all events were canceled. So Wednesday and Today I had the chance to shoot 2 matches. Here are some selects from both days.

Randy, sorry, not all of us can work with the dream machine that you have :biggrin:. I am still very happy with these shots, DOF still is still really good in my opinion.

Think I will continue to enjoy my gear!

GCB_0197.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GCB_0240.jpg

GCB_0378-2.jpg

GCB_0641.jpg

GCB_0653.jpg

GCB_0661.jpg

GCB_0683.jpg

GCB_0466.jpg

2. nice shots
    the first 2 need some post-processing....
    LEVELS to brighten them up a bit
    but..... you did well here

3. Greg, I'm actually happy with the first 2, if I do to much I will blow out the important details, considering there is already some blown out areas. Maybe play a little with the dodge to brighten the faces a little but i like some contrast.

4. phew, nice shots Geoff....

5. Thanks Chris, as I have said in the skills vs tools there is no way I can afford anything else, I still love my D300 + 300mm combo. Until things start picking up anyways.

6. play with the MIDDLE SLIDER in LEVELS
    that won't blow out any details

my monitor is calibrated and you cannot see the full faces in either image 1 or 2

your shots are good....
    -EV is a great idea for this kind of HARSH SUN shooting
    but....
    you need to compensate when the faces are so dark.... IMHO, of course
    no offense intended

7. Greg, mine are as well and I can see the faces, nice contrast, I like them the way they are, as I am not selling them.

No offense taken, always trying something different.

I will play a little with them, and see how I feel, but at the moment, I am happy with the way they are.

8. Well Greg I have played a little, it doesn't take long, I know PS pretty well.

Here are the new ones, I like the originals but some may like these instead, maybe a poll to see which is better?? #2 is ok, anyways let me know folks.

GCB_0197a.jpg

GCB_0240a.jpg

9. i appreciate your replies, geoff
    and i mean you no disrespect
    i'm sorry if i came off otherwise

they are very nice shots
    looks like it was a wonderful day to shoot

10. Greg, not at all, and I the same. We all have our preferences right?

11. GB,

I would use a different location to meter on, shoot horizontal, LOCK those settings, then shoot from there. The spot that I would pick, since the setting sun is SO HARSH, would be a spot that combines light and dark areas, like the collar area with light and dark combined. This will drive the averaging for the midtones to be more spread, and possibly, only possibly, keep you from losing the highlights so much.
    Next time try a test shot, check your histograms, try another, then get ready to shoot the keeper.
    You know that lighting and clothing combo is a total BEE-yatch! :wink:
    Although 3, 4, 5, 6 are pretty nice.

12. Wish I had the time to take test shots and such, figure I'm following 8 different golfers. So I have little time to do so. Normally when I have a few holes to follow a player it works a little better.

With this HS stuff though times limited, 9 holes, and 8 players, so I'm constantly running to get the next shot.

I will try to do so next time around, I am covering golf 2 more times next week. Although my luck it will be overcast :smile:

Thanks Steve!

13. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    OT , What is that vertical line on the left in # 1? Looks like a smear ,but I know thats not what it is.

14. The flag stick for the hole. He was chipping on to the green.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  15. Looking good!
    As Biggs pointed out the vertical line in the first shot has my curiosity.

16. I thought that might be it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.