Who Needs Z7's High Resolution

Camera makers are in the business of selling cameras, so they have to keep increasing the MP, just like Sony keeps increasing their Sony TV, from 20-inch to 40-inch to 60-inch... as they see the market saturation of the previous size.

But I wonder if we really need the Z7's 46MP. In a typical publication of books and magazines, even a two-page spread, I would imagine a 20MP is MORE than enough to produce the highest-quality printing, considering human eyes can only discern so much detail.

Are there many professional photographers (or armatures) out there truly benefiting from the Z7? That is to say, doing jobs that cannot be done by the Z6? One advantage of the Z7 is that you can "crop" the image because of the high resolution. That is no-brainer. But besides that, is the Z7's resolution really needed?

How large a print do you have to make in order to say, "Hey, this is my Z7 print! Your Z6 cannot possibly create a print this big"?

I'm happy with 6-12 megapixels and better high iso performance rather than more megapixels. Others may forever want more megapixels but 6 meg is good enough for a double page magazine spread though some people may actually have a reason to print much bigger. Being able to crop more is similar to buying a camera for its 'digital zoom' capabilities :)

It may be worthwhile thinking about what your camera system can actually capture (resolve), what detail the human eye can actually resolve and your printing needs.

A Bayer sensor is incapable of resolving anywhere near its stated MP, probably not even touching half that.

It is often quoted that the average human eye (20/20 vision) can only resolve 300 PPI. But this statement alone is incorrect as it is rarely qualified. The ‘magic’ 300 PPI refers to the eye perceiving a series of closely spaced dots as continuous tone - in other words you cannot see the white space between dots. The eye is actually capable of resolving detail well past 300 PPI which is reason for printer manufacturers to use 360/720/1440 PPI as input resolution. Note, do not confuse PPI with DPI, they are two different and separate things!

Higher MP count is not necessarily limited to how big you can print. For printing and for the moment forgetting viewing distance and consider image capture IQ and subject matter. IF you have captured a subject containing great detail AND for your required print size the native resolution of the file exceeds your printers standard requirements of 300-360 PPI (Canon - Epson) then you should consider sending image data at 600-720 PPI to maximise IQ.

Of course this does not mean that you cannot get satisfactory results from low MP cameras or even mobile phones. I have captured nice images from fixed focus point and shoot at 2 MP printed 6”x4”.

The increase in MP count can therefore be beneficial for some including the newer 100/150 MP sensors.

Last edited:
Of course I'm composing my pictures carefully, but under some circumstainces (e.g. when the location limits me) it is very nice to be able to crop.

Of course I'm composing my pictures carefully, but under some circumstainces (e.g. when the location limits me) it is very nice to be able to crop.
I agree. With film and the early digital bodies it was important to get the desired composition "in camera", as there was very limited opportunity for cropping. So I got lenses in all the focal lengths I needed to achieve that. Now that I have reached "a certain age" I find that the longer, heavy lenses are less fun to use. My D850 is normally fitted with the relatively light 24-120 f4 or one of the AF-S f1.8 primes. Through cropping I can still get the same field of view and perspective as with my longer lenses and have plenty of pixels for any of my uses. Purists decry this approach, but it makes my photography much more enjoyable.

Some people need hi res others don't. If I was a low volume, large detail type photographer I'd easily shoot with a D850 or Z7. Though I'm more of a high volume, large content type shooter so 24mp is more than enough.

One rather specialized application where it would be useful is in making prints of paintings. Typically those who do that take multiple overlapping images and stitch them together to get a large, high-res, file before printing on large format printers. The more pixels the better for that.

But that is a very specialized application.

Real Name
Ian
Is high resolution the only reason one buys a Z7? I think not. The same goes for the other high res bodies.
Other than higher resolution, why would you pick a Z7 over a Z6? The Z6 has the exact same hardware, and does certain things (namely video) better than the Z7.

I struggle to see what the Z7 does better than the Z6 outside of still image resolution.

Is high resolution the only reason one buys a Z7? I think not. The same goes for the other high res bodies.
There's also the ability to crop, but I think most here will agree utilizing a fast APS-C camera like the D500 or D5 with longer glass is better suited for specialized task. Though the D850 with the fast AF, high res, ASP-C crop and the ability to shoot small/medium raws makes it the most versatile camera in Nikon's line-up.

Other than higher resolution, why would you pick a Z7 over a Z6? The Z6 has the exact same hardware, and does certain things (namely video) better than the Z7.

I struggle to see what the Z7 does better than the Z6 outside of still image resolution.
Base ISO of 64; no low-pass filter; almost twice as many AF points; you have the glass to take advantage of the high res; and you have money to burn.

I don't own either, and if I did succumb to NAS, I'd get a Z6.

Last edited:
I don't own either, and if I did succumb to NAS, I'd get a Z6.
Same here, and I was getting close to succumbing. What is holding me back is the paucity of native lens choices now and in the foreseeable future. Sure, I could use some of my F-mount lenses with the adapter, but then I'm up to the same or greater weight as my D750.

Same here, and I was getting close to succumbing. What is holding me back is the paucity of native lens choices now and in the foreseeable future. Sure, I could use some of my F-mount lenses with the adapter, but then I'm up to the same or greater weight as my D750.
You know that I love mirrorless cameras and the electronic viewfinders. I love being able to see the exposure right in the viewfinder. I also love to review my photos in the viewfinder. It's nice when the bright outdoor light makes seeing the lcd screen difficult. You can set it up to hit the ok button while you review and it zooms into the focus point so it is very easy to check your focus in the viewfinder. The image stabilization is really good. So there are some other advantages other than just weight. It has been a wonderful camera for me and I haven't had any desire to pick up either of my other DSLRs since I got the Z6. The new eye autofocus that has been added since the firmware update has been something I have appreciated, too! I do admit that the adaptor gets a bit fussy sometimes. It's more bother to change two things rather than one when you want to change a lens. I haven't had a D750 so I can't compare the experience, but the Z6 is super nice. When you get feeling better I wish you could have the chance to try one out. Greg has been using my D610 a little, so I am keeping that for him. For now I am going to keep the D5600 to use when I want to go hiking as it is a little lighter, but honestly, I have never felt that the Z6 has seemed heavy. Maybe the smaller form factor is deceiving me. Of course, frugal me also has a side that says if you are happy with your current gear and don't feel it is holding you back in any way...why buy something new!! So nice to chat gear with you again. Can't wait till you are out on your morning walks so we can see beautiful photos of your wonderful "finds"!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom